• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Our Alaska Trip

Well, after many, many years of hearing my mom talk about going to Alaska, my two sisters and I were fortunate enough to get the chance to go there with her. What a trip! We had a very full trip planned, thanks mostly to a ton of leg work by my sister, Nicole. Fishing, critter watching, shopping, a cruise, horseback riding... we did a ton in a relatively short period of time. Below are some of the pics from the trip. I won't say too much and will let the pics do most of the talking.

The trip mascot, Klondike.

Mascot.jpg

Day #1: We started out the trip by renting an RV in Anchorage and heading for Homer. The scenery on the way was phenomenal! Homer is a very cool little place and the scenery there isn't anything to sneeze at! We got into Homer later on the day we flew in and spent got some shut eye, after checking out things for a bit. We spent most of the next day snooping around all that Homer had to offer.

HomerMarina.jpg

ShipHomer.jpg

GirlsHomer.jpg

...and we shopped, and shopped, and shopped. I shopped more on this day than I had the previous year total (easily). But, we had lots of gifts to get while we were there, so we got much of this done on this day.

Day #2: The next day we halibut fished. We were going to go 34 miles from the docks, but it "got pretty lumpy" out there and we ended up at 27 miles. It was still rough at times there too. We all caught our limit of two keepers and it was a lot of fun.

The ride out took a while...

Sleep2.jpg

Sleep1.jpg

It rained for most of the day.

Halibutfishing.jpg

But thanks to Captain Steve, we got our fish. He definitely earned his keep and worked hard for his money. He did a great job.

Halibut.jpg

Day #3: This day had us going on a kayak adventure out of Homer. This was very fun! This pic was taken just before we started the adventure.

Group.jpg

SisKayak.jpg

Here's my mom with a sea otter just over her shoulder.

MomNOtter.jpg

Here's a closer shot of the little (or not so little) guy.

Otter.jpg

Eagles.jpg

Sis2Kayak.jpg

I was lucky enough to find a Japanese float after snarfing up a little lunch on the beach of an island. A very cool little find...

Japanesefloat.jpg

GroupKayak2.jpg

GroupKayak.jpg

Day #4 was devoted to a fly-in bear viewing trip. We saw totally wild bears in their natural environment. Although it rained the entire trip, it was really cool! My pictures didn't turn out like I'd hoped, but there wasn't much I could do about it with the weather we had. My camera was totally water logged and finally gave up the ghost in the last half hour of this day (it came back to life the next day though!)

Right after take off.

Planeride.jpg

Bear2.jpg

Bear3.jpg

BearGroup.jpg

The pic below is of a sow and two cubs that my two sisters had a very close encounter with. The excused themselves from the group to use the "restroom". One of our two guides went with to make sure nothing goofy happened. He walked them up to some bushes and said, "You can go right in there". Just as they stepped out of view, a huge sow and two cubs stood up in front of them, not ten feet away. Mama Bear looked them in the eyes, turned, and slowly lumbered away, with the cubs in tow. WOW!

SownCubs.jpg

After the bear trip, we headed for Soldotna for some sockeye fishing. Fishing Reds was a hoot! We didn't know anything about it, but my buddy's brother, Randy, was gracious enough to meet us and show us the basics. We certainly didn't achieve expert status at any point in time, but we pretty quickly were able to do "the flop" in a servicable manner, thanks to Randy. We fished reds this evening and the next day.

Here's a shot of Randy, who took time out of his vacation to teach us rookies the scoop on red fishing. Next time I see Randy, I hope to have my bow in my hands and to be hearing bugles in the mountains behind camp!

Randy.jpg

Nicolesalmon.jpg

My sister Nicole and me with the catch of our fist day of red fishing. A nice limit of reds from the Kenai.

CatchoDay.jpg

Second day of red fishing.

Heidisalmonfishing.jpg

Heidisalmon.jpg

Our last big adventure was to drive to Seward and do a 3/4 day cruise. This was a lot of fun and was a nice change of pace.

We saw breath taking scenery on this trip.

SceneryCruise2.jpg

SceneryCruise3.jpg

SceneryCruise.jpg

NicNMomCruise.jpg

NicNHeidiCruise.jpg

NicCruise.jpg

Glacier.jpg

The girls acting goofy.

GirlsGlacier.jpg

After that, we headed back to Anchorage, returned the RV, goofed off for a while, and headed home. What a great trip! My sisters and I are so glad that we got to go there and experience Alaska with our mom. It was a truly wonderful trip that none of us will forget.

GroupGlacier.jpg

WOW! great pics! those shots of the whale jumping are really cool. it looks like you were in some of the same places i was when i was up in alaska about a month ago. were you fishing the kenai for reds when you were in soldotna? awesome pics and looks like you had a amazing time!

Looks like a GREAT trip Scoot! My wife and I are planning on a trip to Alaska next summer for our 10 year anniversary. These pics will definitely add to the anticipation.

When we start figuring out our "to do" list, I might have to drop you an email.

On a side note, saw some maple leaves here yesterday that have quite a bit of color to them! grin Getting to be every bowhunter's favorite time of year!

Brian