• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Benjineer's Lund S-16 Mod

benjineer

Thanks! Primed with Kilz2 top and bottom and painted with Rustoleum Smoke Gray. Planning to paint the whole interior in it eventually. May add some kind of nonskid on the deck or mix some sand in the paint for the top coat. Thought about sealing with fiberglass resin, but this should last a while if I keep it covered. When it rots, I'll replace it. The switches are for bilge pump, interior lights (not yet installed), and nav/anchor light.

The diamond plate was free. It was a kickplate for a walk-in freezer door. Dad acquired it from somewhere, and it has been the top to my homemade dog box for several years. Box started falling apart, and I decided to give up and buy one. I took the nose cap off the boat and laid the plate on top. Then I got underneath with a sharpie and marked the contour. Cut out with jigsaw (not fun). Took it to work and had it folded. I think it turned out ok, but I may have to make some kind of rear support to hold the head end up when trailering. I'm afraid it may bounce some going down the road. Most of the weight is in the foot, but the other end is pretty heavy also. I've seen where other people put their mount on top of the gunnels, but I wanted it below, so if I put something up there it won't slide off into the water. Besides, it hides my shoddy jigsaw work.

Hey Guys this has given me many ideas. I am taking over my grandfathers boat this fall I’m hoping anyways! But the floor is rotten in it I would really like to do something like what you guys have with the middle bench taken out. Have you seen or had any problems with this? Also I am wondering if you could post more pictures of the overall layout of everything the diamond trolling plate is awesome I am for sure going to have to make that mod anything else I could do so I can save space? I saw in one of the pictures someone has an electrical panel how would you wire that all up do you still have to scoop water out or can you install a bilge pump on these kind of boats? Let me know and any pictures would be great of any other ideas I plan to tackle the project this fall maybe winter project depending.

Thanks Guy!

Here is a link to where my question is if you guys wanna post there

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...ing#Post2377801

Here is what i did on my 14 Lund tiller, i cut it out of aluminum and formed it at work and had it podwercoated. the only thing that i dont care for is that it is hard to see the radio display in sunlight without crouching down but i didnt want to point it up more and have it get wet all the time.

DSC03058.jpg

Here are a few more pics. I put down 4 pieces of angle and threw some 3/4 plywood on top. I say this is temporary until I settle on a final layout. Then hopefully I can put down an aluminum floor. I want to get some use out of it and decide what I want to change. I ran it Saturday and got 13mph with one engine. Didn't check it with 2 this time, but will next time. Having a flat floor makes the space a lot more usable. It has a whole new feel to it.

full-35499-2539-img_9215_small.jpg

full-35499-2540-img_9216_small.jpg

full-35499-2541-img_9217_small.jpg

full-35499-2542-img_9218_small.jpg

what did you use to connect the alum angle to the floor?

You mean the bottom of the boat? I used 3/16" pop rivets to attach the angle to the vertical face of the bench seats. I left enough of the middle one I could do it there too. The plywood is just laying on top of the angle unattached. The screws you see are joining 2 pieces of plywood. I could've used a single piece if I'd have taken the middle bench tops back off. I had 2 pieces that were 48" x 43" recycled from another project. I just cut them up instead. When I switch to all aluminum I'll have to add more bracing, and I'll probably put foam board underneath.

Updates. Bought new-to-me motor. Removed middle benches completely, added more floor framing, added aluminum sheet floor with pool noodles underneath, painted interior, put in carpet and center console. Almost done.

full-35499-10292-img_0499_small.jpg

full-35499-10293-img00193_20110628_0735.

full-35499-10294-img00194_20110628_0735.

Terrific renovation. Hope no one minds if I revive this thread. I just came across an '84 S-16 and and wonder if you still have the boat and how it held up. I have something similar in mind at least as far as the front deck.