Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Auger Modifications

7 posts in this topic

I've always used hand augers when fishing around my area. But the last 6 mos. I've got a terrible problem with my elbow & I have a hard time even with the thinner ice.
The doc says if I don't quit using my arm it won't never heal up.
We all know I'm not gonna quit fishing,
So I been thinking about getting a small power auger.
With me being left handed on the power units I've used the exhaust blows right into my face or chest.
Has any of you guy's ever switch the cable or the linkage to the other handle?
I really don't care for the cable type throttles I think the linkage type are much more durable.
How about putting a 90 on the exhaust and a different muffler?
If them auger motors are like anything else i've bought in the last few years the exhaust probably needs to be opened up so that thing can breath anyway.
Any thoughts?
Thanks Bob

Are you saying you cant turn the auger so it isnt blowing in your face? This Really isnt about being left handed or right handed.
Its only a lever you have to pull with you fingers.

I only have 4 fingers & 1 thumb,Their all on the left hand.
Thats the problem
Thanks Bob

Ahh Then you are a lefty only.
A cable type would be easier to switch over then a linkage. With a cable theres a clamp that holds the throtel lever to the hand bar.
Either way I could help ya out but your in Iowa. Long way from Twig, Mn.
Im will take a look at mine in the morn and see what needs to be done exactly.

You will have to drill a hole in the handle to mount the trottle. Mine looks like theres enough play in the cable to change over to left hand side.

Have you considered electric? There are two for sale in the for sale thread. My partner just got rid of his gas auger because of the danger with the power of them. He cut through his leather boot all the way down to his last sock. Scared the dump out of him. Take a look...might be what you need..

[This message has been edited by #Boater# (edited 12-21-2002).]