• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New portable

Bryce

Question

Starting to get ready for next season already so want to get some info for a new portable. Have it narrowed down to another 2 man Fishtrap or similar size Otter. Would like to hear from those who have switched between the two. Have never seen the seats available for the Otter. Are they more/less comfy? Weight ... can I lift it into my truck loaded like I can my Fishtrap? How about the zip door allowing you to bank the house ... how much colder do you think this allows you to fish? I figured with the Fishtrap, 5-10 below either temp or windchill was about max with Focus 5 heater and gas lamp going. Look forward to everyones input.

10 answers to this question

Hey Bryce, I cannot help you with the kind, only wanted you to know Cabelas in Owatonna has a nice Fishtrap at $ 150. Right at the Bargain Cave entrance.

bryce , i had two fish traps, sold one bought a med. otter. i like that much better the zipper door for banking snow and for running tipups. it pulls great behind the snowmobile and can move quickly. have not thought of a better way for the auger to be tied on. i"m going to buy a small otter too,with two boys, no one wants to be left home mainly me.... the small otter is easer to get into a pickup. i bought folding boat seats and made a rack to fit across the otter for the seat to rest on, a few rod holders and a tray your in great shape i strongly suggest an otter you won"t be sorry hawkeye

Just giving this a little crappie bump to see if I can get everyone out of hibernation. It's either that or not many people have switched between the two. Maybe I should have started off the topic saying I wanted all limits doubled and I'm going to use the new house to catch my limit at least 5 times a week. J/K but it would made a lively topic. Give me a little help here... Fishtrap is the only one that gets any press coverage and I would like to make a truly informed decision.

The first portable that I owned was a Shapell, last year I bought an Otter cabin. It had a few features that I liked better than the Clam series. But every one has their oun particular needs and wants. The seats that Otter uses are basically a plastic framed boat seat. Ive never used one cause I felt they took up too much room in the sled. But a lot of people like them. The weight depends on how much stuff you put in the sled. The Otter sled will hold all of you gear, fish trap wont so if you go to load it in a vehicle the otter is heavier. but all of your gear if in one spot.
I dont like to say one is alot better than the other because they are both good.

If there was a "BEST" there would only be one on the market.

Rob

Thanks Dave. Great feature to keep one from sounding like an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly by asking repeat questions. However, as icefishers, we are probably beyond help. Kind of curious as to why I've never seen an Otter displayed with the factory seat. Maybe I need to get together with someone to see it and at the same time show them how to get all the gear they need packed along.

Sure have Scupper. I saw once somewhere in this forum that Otter is manufactured here in MN but cannnot locate it again. Could someone give their location again.