• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

attaching reels to rods

chiroeye

Question

What is the best way to attach a small reel to an ice fishing rod with no brackets? This is a fairly permanent thing, meaning I wont be using the reel on an ultra lite pole in the summer. I have thought of using black electrical tape, but does anyone else have any attachment styles they like to use?

10 answers to this question

Someone on this site recommended th "Tommy Tape" from Wal-mart. It is a self sealing silicon tape. It will only stick to itself.

You streak it to about 3x its length and the wrap it around the rod/reel. It contracts and fuses itself together.

This works great and you can get a roll for $4, you'll probably never buy another since it stretches so much!

Uncle Grump;
That would be the stuff... alittle spendy but a little goes a long ways. I followed the advise of the Ice Shanty gang on this and it works great. No sticky goo on the reels or the handles of the rods. A 12 inch piece will work just fine on each rod. It streches alot. One snug wrap and start streching and wrapping.

Not to be a wood here but if a guy fishes with those 10 dollar stock prods then muffler wrap works too. It's just nice to not to have to clean the adhesive from your equipment.

That brings up another question.... What does anyone use to clean the minnow/fish slime from the cork handles. Is there something to keep the handles from drying out? Thanks for any replies

Fish slime.... grin.gif

Reminds me of the throttle grip on the tiller handle on my 2002 outboard...It's fine until it rains out...but when the water hits that fish slime it takes a death grip to turn that slick SOB.

PCG