• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tow Hitch for Portable?

Question

Does anyone use one of those hitches that mount on your fish trap style portable. I was thinking about getting one to pull behind my snowmobile. How do they work for you? Would it be hard to make one yourself?

Thanks

7 answers to this question

The hitch is not a hard item to make. My friend and I have made several. I have one hitch that clips on to pins which are bolted to both my fish trap, and clam. (interchangeable between units) It requires a little metalsmithing, (which is a favorite pastime of mine), cutting, drilling, bending, welding. but all of the parts are made out of 1/2" conduit and light (1/8" & 3/16") flat iron. If you would like I can email digipics for you to get an idea of how to start. Have you got tools or can you use a buddy's shop?

My advice would be to go for it.

Hey Guys
Thanks for the great ideas. I will for sure try the pvc style and when I make it up to my cousin who has the tools to weld I will upgrade to a metal hitch. Big Dipper- I would love to see some pictures if it isn't to hard for ya. My e-mail is [email protected] If its too big of a hastle don't worry about it though.

Thanks Again

Here's what a number of folks I know have done.
Cut two pieces of conduit (more durable than PVC, particularly in cold weather) just a bit shorter than needed to make a "V". Put a large washer on the rope against the outside of your plastic to keep the conduit from gouging your sled. Thread on the conduit, and then tie a knot to form a small loop where you'll hitch to. The loop can be dropped over a hitch ball or clipped to, and will keep it from fishtailing while towed. Works well to keep the sled from sliding into you when you slow down or stop.

Done the conduit thing. Works great for a few trips. But the constant bending from starting , stopping, up, down, and any other position would cause the condouit to wear thru the rope. I even polished the ends of the conduit when I put it together and have tried different thickness ropes. Temporary at best.

Use that plastic coated 1/4" steel cable instead of rope. Just leave enough cable exposed ( between the two pieces of conduit )to make a loop ( with a cable clamp )to attach to your hitch and just enough to make a couple small loops at the ends that will conect to your shelter. To those loops that atatch to your shelter add a couple snap rings so your hitch will be easy on and off. Install a couple eye bolts to the front of your shelter using those self locking nylon nuts with washers and your good to go.
I made my hitch small enough to lay inside my trap and use it on my Otter as well. Be sure when making your loops to use 2 cable clamps on the ends that atatch to your shelter. CHEAP alternative to the comercial modles out there.

If you use plastic conduit rather than metal it will not bend.It willnot become brittle like pvc either and you can sand down the edges to reduce wear on your rope.I would not advise using chain be cause of the shock.The tow stap should have some give to it to reduce wear on you rig and sled.