• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Biggest bass you ever caught?

apegs

At some point in my life I would like to catch a six pound bass( or bigger!).

What is the biggest bass you guys have caught, and only in the state of Minnesota?

Some other questions

1. If your willing to tell, what lake

2. What kind of presentation

3. Where were they relating to as far as structure and vegetation

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close to 4lbs is my biggest, and it was caught on the mighty mississippi, below alma dam... caught on a 10 or 12 inch black and maroon worm kinda carolina rigged, and i pulled him out of a 5 or 6 foot deep hole in the middle of some pretty heavy grass/weeds.. Good luck on your quest, I'll be out in the same area tomorrow looking for hawgs..

My first over 6 was 6lb 4 oz from a metro lake. Late summer deep cranking a ledge. The top of the ledge is a large weed flat, the ledge is several hundred yards long, drops into 30+ fow and has several rock piles/ boulders on it that consentrate fish. I was keying in on the rocky areas. This spot is not a well known and probably the majoriy who know and fish it are walleye guys.

The second was from a lake just outside the metro. Caught it in the heart of a large weed flat adjacent to spawning grounds several weeks after bass opener. I was using a swim jig and had to cast as far as I could to keep from spooking the fish with the boat.

Put your time and eventually you'll get one. Have a lake that seems to put out big fish? Take time to find lesser known deep water spots and you'll have a lot less competition and up your chances.

I'll have the oddest answer here. My biggest came paddle-trolling (something I like to do at my cabin when I don't have time to throw the big boat in). I got tired of crappies and perch hitting normal sized cranks so I threw on a 7" believer (muskie bait) just to see what would happen. Over about 7 feet of water on a mud/gravel transition area I put a bass in the boat that was slightly longer than the width of the paddle-boat seats (which are 22.5"). Good weight to it too, but with my limited gear I couldn't get a real length/girth or weight.

Most of my other 20"+ fish come on spinnerbaits or jerkbaits over weed flats, seemingly always on a cloudy day.

My first over 6 was 6lb 4 oz from a metro lake. Late summer deep cranking a ledge. The top of the ledge is a large weed flat, the ledge is several hundred yards long, drops into 30+ fow and has several rock piles/ boulders on it that consentrate fish. I was keying in on the rocky areas. This spot is not a well known and probably the majoriy who know and fish it are walleye guys.

The second was from a lake just outside the metro. Caught it in the heart of a large weed flat adjacent to spawning grounds several weeks after bass opener. I was using a swim jig and had to cast as far as I could to keep from spooking the fish with the boat.

Put your time and eventually you'll get one. Have a lake that seems to put out big fish? Take time to find lesser known deep water spots and you'll have a lot less competition and up your chances.

Wow six pounds, what a great catch that would be. I do not have a lake that I know of with big fish around the metro. the only big fish lakes I have been to are through club tourneys. One being leech lake and another in mankato. No six pounders but tons of fours and saw a five # or two. I plan on starting my search around the metro since I live in St.Paul. Just trying to figure out if there is a formula for big fish.

I'll have the oddest answer here. My biggest came paddle-trolling (something I like to do at my cabin when I don't have time to throw the big boat in). I got tired of crappies and perch hitting normal sized cranks so I threw on a 7" believer (muskie bait) just to see what would happen. Over about 7 feet of water on a mud/gravel transition area I put a bass in the boat that was slightly longer than the width of the paddle-boat seats (which are 22.5"). Good weight to it too, but with my limited gear I couldn't get a real length/girth or weight.

Most of my other 20"+ fish come on spinnerbaits or jerkbaits over weed flats, seemingly always on a cloudy day.

geeze! Over twenty two inches, that is one heck of a hawg!

I got a 21.5 in Harriet a few years back on a spinner and crawler in the weeds. I would be willing to guess Calhoun, Harriet or even Lake of the Isles holds fish of that size. They get fished but only by a select few. I was walleye fishing that day and managed a nice eye that day too.

Smallmouth 21 1/4" (6lb15oz) Mississippi backwaters pool 6. Black/blue jungle jig

Largemouth 21 1/2" (didn't have a scale with). Lake near Onamia (Sullivan?) after I got blown off Mille Lacs. Spinnerbait

Biggest in 5 years was the one posted under photos, didnt weigh her but I know she was pushing 7. No lake name, Jig and Pig.

Prior to that It was a tie with 2 lakes. 1st was 7.1 on Coon, on a rattlin rouge 3-5 ft submerged weeds. Other was 7,1 Mille lacs early summer on floating worm in the reeds.

I forgot who it was but someone posted a pic of an 8-0lber caught in MN. Thing was a beast, Was it Katoguy? If it was I'd love to see that pic again...Or pics of any of these fish if you guys have em

this is for my dad who is no longer with us but his biggest is 13.1 on lake kissimmii in florida and we have one mounted at home that is 12.6. He caught the 12.6 and thought it would be his largest fish he would ever catch so he kept it to mount and a week later he caught the 13.1. He use to be a guide down in Florida when i was really young and caught numerous fish over 10lbs...wish i could have experienced that!!!

We have a lake that we constantly get huge bass through the ice on tip ups with shiners. One day about 5 years ago we pulled 2 over 6lbs in one afternoon. It makes a guy wonder how big they would be in the summer. I need to go fish this lake in the summer.