• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electric augers

Question

Has anyone used an electric auger? I'm curious how well they work and how muc of a hassel it is to drag a battery along. I like the idea of how much quiter they are.

3 answers to this question

This is ONLY my opinion.

They are S.L.O.W. They still create friction with the ice, so they make plenty of noise as far as the fish are concerned. Not easy to bounce around and punch a bunch of holes either.

They are fine if you are gonna set up in one spot before the bite and sit and soak a minnow. Otherwise, forget all about them.

PCG

For walk-outs they would be a real pain, but when I'm using my 4-wheeler I use it as my primary hole puncher. No gas to worry about, it always starts, and it's allot quieter than a gas auger. I carry a 13" start/deep-cycle battery on the back rack of my Honda (you would NEVER be able to lug that around walking out). If I go on a one week fishing trip where I can't recharge batteries(Sleeper Hut) I can use the electric auger, Vex, and any other electronics I have, and the battery indicator stays above 80% all week. I fish 2 and 3 day trips all winter at Simcoe in Ontario, and allot of us that fish there use the electric augers. They are not as fast as the gas units, but I never seen anyone running out to their fishing spot to save the same 15 seconds.
For walk-outs, I use a hand auger.