• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2010 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

I already paid sales tax on the frame, and all the materials. Hopefully they won't try to double dip.

No they won't try and double dip. They'll let you take whatever you have for receipt off the declared value. I guess i don't understand why you wouldn't just declare the value at less then you have receipts for.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I say it's worth $5000 and bring in $3000 worth of receipts then I have to pay sales tax on the extra $2000.

I was told by the DMV to only declare the value as to what I have put into it when I get it licensed. When/If you sell it, you can put whatever price tag on it you choose, and whoever purchases it will have to pay the tax on the price they pay.

No need to make the value of your house more than what you have stuck into it just to pay a higher tax on it.

No they won't try and double dip. They'll let you take whatever you have for receipt off the declared value. I guess i don't understand why you wouldn't just declare the value at less then you have receipts for.

Then just a warning not to go the the Hennepin County License center in Minneapolis b/c they were wanting me to double dip. I said I had receipts for all my purchases and they said it didn't matter b/c it's "different".

There is definately a gray area when it comes to licensing a fish house. Is it a camper??? Is it a trailer??? I licensed mine as an E&T manufactured trailer under 3500# with 1 axle. This allowed me to get a lifetime license for it. If Ernie gave you a receipt for your trailer, just use that as your proof of already paying sales tax... they don't need to know that you enclosed it, and the inside is as awesome as it is, plus you did already pay tax on everything whether you have a reciept or not! Also, some guys I know just say that it is completely homemade and value it at $500 or something, and just pay taxes on that. Either way, don't let them make you pay taxes on it twice!

I know some of the DMV's request certificates of origin, titles, VIN #'s or other crazy stuff like that. They are all different it seems. There does not seem to be a set procedure that they all use. Tell them you just dont have that stuff because its a fish house. I would suggest going to as many DMV's as it takes to find one that can take care of you. I think the smaller county DMV's are a little easier going on this stuff. Get a lifetime license somehow and be done with it is my suggestion.

Good Luck! Let us know what you figure out.

You bought a pre-made frame correct? And already paid tax on that? That is the only reciept I'd bring in. In the case of the DMV the less you tell them the better off you are. Other than increased revenue what you do with the trailer/frame after it's licensed is none of their business.

Here is where I'm at as of this morning. Rubber roof is on, all the diamond plate trim is on except for two pieces on the front, all the lights are on, the door is permanently secured, and I'm just about ready to move on to wiring.

Lip Ripper, do you know the approximate weight of your roof? Debating between aluminum and rubber. Thanks!

The rubber roof is super easy to install. Get the glue in the plastic buckets (not the metal can-you'll thank me later). Basically you dump the glue onto your roofing plywood and spread it with a paint roller. Let it set up for a few minutes and roll the rubber over. Once it dries a little you take a stiff broom and work any bubbles out and you're done.

There are a couple ways to trim it out, I used the aluminum termination bar from Menards.

The rubber roof is super easy to install. Get the glue in the plastic buckets (not the metal can-you'll thank me later). Basically you dump the glue onto your roofing plywood and spread it with a paint roller. Let it set up for a few minutes and roll the rubber over. Once it dries a little you take a stiff broom and work any bubbles out and you're done.

There are a couple ways to trim it out, I used the aluminum termination bar from Menards.

Any chance of getting some close up pics of the roof and the termination bar? I'm hoping to be put the rubber on the roof of mine in the next couple of weeks.

Is there any special name for the rubber roofing or will someone at menards know what I'm talking about? Which department is it in?

Thanks for the help

Any chance of getting some close up pics of the roof and the termination bar? I'm hoping to be put the rubber on the roof of mine in the next couple of weeks.

Is there any special name for the rubber roofing or will someone at menards know what I'm talking about? Which department is it in?

Thanks for the help

Here are a couple pics of the roof. On the 45's I cut the roof flush with the termination strip and caulked the top gap between the diamond plate and the siding.

P1010129.jpg

On the 90's I left the roof a little bit long to go over the top of the diamond plate, and also caulked the gap.

P1010128.jpg

And here is the flat.

P1010127.jpg

The house made it's first trip of the year to camp in this last weekend. Everything worked great, and the house pulls better than I thought. As long as there wasn't a head wind, I was able to pull overdrive at 70-75mph. Cross winds were a little tough, and I had to keep it around 60mph to keep it from darting around.

Last week I finished up the bunks:

P1010126.jpg

P1010125.jpg

The top bunk is hinged to fold up when not in use. The bottom bunk has lots of storage space underneath, and will only be hinged in the middle section in hopes of keeping it lighter. In my last house it must have weighed 75#, where this one is probably closer to 35-40. The foam came from Foam Factory, and is covered with a marine vinyl to keep the mattresses from soaking up beer and fish slime. I forgot to get pics of the floor, but it turned out great. I used 2 coats of Rhino Liner. 10 people drug mud in and out of the house this weekend, and all cleanup took was 5 minutes with the shop vac.

I'm pretty close to finished. I have to cut the holes in the floor, a little bit of trim work, tidy up some wires, and install the TV mount.

Hey Lip_ripper Guy

Could you post a couple of pictures of the finished floor with the rhino liner on it?

Thanks.

The floor is still a little bit dirty, but here it is finished. The hole lights are the LED lights from Fish House Supply. I used them in my last house and they worked great.

P1010131.jpg

In the middle is the pedestal base for the table. The wheel wells are covered with a really nice piece of birch plywood, and spar varnish (table is also birch). I'm hoping the wheel wells and table will have a nice glossy "bar-top" look to them when I'm finished.

P1010130.jpg

i hit a wire with a screw. I found it with OHM meter. Connect one end to the wire end that hooks to battery, then use the other wire on OHM meter and touch nail / screw heads. The needle on OHM will peg if the nail is run into the wire. good luck as this sucks....