• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2010 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P1010124.jpg

I stained the cabinets, built the speaker boxes and hooked up the stereo last night.

Question for any wiring/electrical experts:

I think I may have hit one of the wires running to my outside light with a nail from the tongue and groove. When I connect the power wire to the positive wire running to the light they spark, the wires get hot, and the light comes on very dimly. Does that sound like a nail hit the positive or ground wire (or both)? Any suggestions on how to test?

Use an ohm meter to see if the wires are shorted together or the positive is shorted to ground (I suspect you tied the ground to the framework of the house)

All the positives run from the light, furnace, etc. to a terminal strip, as do the negatives. From each terminal, I have a single wire running to the batteries.

Question for any wiring/electrical experts:

I think I may have hit one of the wires running to my outside light with a nail from the tongue and groove. When I connect the power wire to the positive wire running to the light they spark, the wires get hot, and the light comes on very dimly. Does that sound like a nail hit the positive or ground wire (or both)? Any suggestions on how to test?

My guess is that you have a bad fixture or one rated for the wrong voltage. If you hit the wires with a nail you would had to have hit both wires with one nail.

Do you have an ohm meter? I'd start by disconnecting both ends of the wires going to the light. Then check to see if you have continuity between the wires.

My guess is that you have a bad fixture or one rated for the wrong voltage. If you hit the wires with a nail you would had to have hit both wires with one nail.

Do you have an ohm meter? I'd start by disconnecting both ends of the wires going to the light. Then check to see if you have continuity between the wires.

I don't, but I am going to pick one up tonight. Looking back at the pictures, there is only one spot that a nail would have been able to catch both the + and - wires. I'm going to look extra close tonight. If that is the case, I would think I should just be able to pull the nail.

I don't, but I am going to pick one up tonight. Looking back at the pictures, there is only one spot that a nail would have been able to catch both the + and - wires. I'm going to look extra close tonight. If that is the case, I would think I should just be able to pull the nail.

If you can't figure it out let me know. Depending how far south your south metro is I could probably swing over and help you figure it out. It would be worth the drive to get a closer look at your trailer.

If you can't figure it out let me know. Depending how far south your south metro is I could probably swing over and help you figure it out. It would be worth the drive to get a closer look at your trailer.

Thanks for the offer! Let me see what I can figure out tonight and I'll get back to ya.

I haven't just yet. I'm in a rush to get things done by this weekend so the house is ready to camp in for a bachelor party. I have to pull off one of the speaker boxes to get at where I think the suspect nail is, so I'll take a look after the weekend.

In the last 2 nights I got most of the trim work done, the bottom bunk is built and the mattress covered with marine vinyl, the wheel wells and arm rests are covered, the propane stove and furnace are hooked up, and the batteries and charger got moved from under the back bunk to within the front cabinet (had a major lack of tongue weight). Tonight I'll be building the top bunk, finishing the trim, connecting the 110 volt, and Rhino-Lining the floor (first coat).

What is the process for getting a fish house licensed for road travel? I found a post that said something about getting a weight receipt and taking that to the DMV.

"What is the process for getting a fish house licensed for road travel? I found a post that said something about getting a weight receipt and taking that to the DMV."

I think if you just tell them it's a homemade trailer under 3500 lbs, that'd be good enough. And I think if you tell them that it can be slept in and you'll use it for times other than ice fishing, they'll call it a camper and won't let you get a lifetime license.... so be careful with that. I think every DMV seems different. Hennepin County DMV gave me the run around about paying taxes on it. I told them I've paid taxes on all the supplies that I bought already and didn't think it made sense to have to pay taxes twice. They didn't care. Made me fill out this homemade trailer form and estimate the cost of my parts. So to appease them, I did just that. "Estimated" the cost ;-) They didn't tell me I couldn't round down.........Good luck

I talked to the dmv about licensing the one I'm building. If it's under 3500 lbs you can get a lifetime license for it. If it's over 3500 lbs then you have to get a license plate and re-new tabs every year.

I guess the 3500 lbs includes anything you haul in it also.

They told me that all I had to do was bring in my receipts. The funny part was that they want me to declare a value. So if I say it's worth $5000 and bring in $3000 worth of receipts then I have to pay sales tax on the extra $2000.