• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2010 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never consider vinyl siding for a fish house. Fish houses are used in the cold, and vinyl siding gets very brittle. You would need to sheet the outside of the house under the siding, adding considerable weight and cost. I paid $30/sheet for my aluminum siding. The other route to consider is Pro Rib from Menards. I don't remember the exact cost on that, but it was more than what I paid for my siding and diamond plate. You can find any color siding you want, but you'll pay somewhere around $60-80/sheet.

Wow. $30 sounds like a great price for aluminum sheets. The cheapest I've found so far was closer to $70.

Just got started on the tongue and groove yesterday. This heat is making it pretty miserable to work in a fish house.

P1010115.jpg

Bottom bunk is in place. It looks really short, but I think it will be just perfect. Along each side is an armrest/shelf/beer holder.

P1010116.jpg

There will be 2 holes going here. If you look closely you can see where the hole lights will be.

Lip Ripper, what type of glue did you use to attach the aluminum to the studs.

P.S. Nice house.

PL Premium. I was nervous about it at first but this stuff is not coming off unless it's in pieces. If you weren't going to spray foam against it I'd maybe reconsider, but as it sits it is almost a solid hunk of glue front to back, side to side.

Lip Ripper,

What are you going to use as a mattress for the bunks? Are you making something or are you ordering from a manufacturer? Thanks. Your post has been very helpful.

I got them from "Foam Factory". I saw a recommendation on one of the forums. They custom cut, and you can get any thickness or density. Free shipping, too.

The house looks great! Do you plan to put polyurethane on the tongue and groove after you have installed it on the walls or is the wood already sealed?

I am going to start my tongue and groove soon but the boards are unfinished. I am trying to decide if it would be better to install it on the walls and then apply the poly or cutting the boards in the garage, applying poly on sawhorses and than installing on the walls (to eliminate dripping).

looking good lip ripper. how tall is your shack from the floor to the ceiling? Is there a pretty standard wall height for these? The reason I ask is that I got some steel pro rib siding real cheap and its pre cut to 7.5 ft. Im hoping that will work. Thanks!

Got the house back from the cabinet shop last night. They did a heck of a job on building these.

P1010118.jpg

In the center bottom is the forced air furnace, with the air ducts coming out at the toe kick on each side. On the left hand side they boxed in the hydraulic pump, and made a really cool storage cabinet with the remainder of the space.

The left upper will have the stereo, all the wires are enclosed behind the cabinet. Center will be the flat screen, satellite receiver, and DVD player. The right side will be all the switches to be symmetrical with the stereo on the opposite side.

P1010119.jpg

The bottom bunk is almost done. This was going to be my battery storage area, but they were causing problems with (lack of) tongue weight, so they'll be moving to the front.

P1010121.jpg

The LED lights are in place and hooked up. I have 2 4' white tubes, and 1 6" red tube. The 4' make it similar to looking into the sun! If someone wanted to, they could get by with 1. The red tube is for late night fishing or a night light. It is really slick, and doesn't ruin your night vision if you need to step outside.

Tonight I'll be staining the cabinets and doors, building some speaker boxes, and maybe starting on the top bunk.