• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Holders for Fish Trap Type Shelters???

S.D. Ice Angular

Question

Hi There!!!!
I recently purchased a USL built “Winnie” same as the “Fish Trap Voyager”
I know I have seen “Rod Holders” and “Rattle Traps” that attach directly or hang off the sled. I was not in the market for one when I seen these so did not pay much attention to them. I would like to know what all “You Experts” do for this????
Please Advise...

S.D. Ice Angler

7 answers to this question

S.D.:

I think there's thread similar to this one on the forum, but I'm not sure just where.

Anyway, I highly recommend NOT using some type of fixed rod rack in a portable unless the rods are completely encased. Why? Even if the rods are locked in a rack, other stuff inevitably bounces around in there while you're hauling the portable, and bangs against the rods. It's like if you're a good driver, it doesn't protect you against the other idiots sliding around out there.

I recommend encasing rods in ReadyRig or Croxton Pond carry bags, or others of different brands, and tossing them in the portable. That's what I do in my Fish Trap II. Plus, during those times on really early/late ice, when even a portable weighs too much, the rod bags are easy to tote around.

Good luck. grin.gif

Sorry!!!!!
I did not mean to mislead anyone; in fact I have a Croxteon bag and "Love It"
I am speaking when all is set up and you are sitting there listing to the radio and watching the FL18 and jigging when its [PoorWordUsage] time or stretch your leg time…
I still like to Jig a Hole but leave another near by at night then I will turn over to the Tip-Up “2nd Line”

[This message has been edited by S.D. Ice Angular (edited 12-17-2002).]

HT Enterprises has a good/fair clamp on rod holder. It will adapt to the tubing anywhere you wish to clamp it on.

A far better more durable option is the Driftmaster rail clamp and a Diftmaster little Duo rod holder. A very good and versatile system for rail or tubing mounted rod holders. Works well for open water use too.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

Look at the Rock & Reel post started in the main ice fishing forum. Its another option for a rod holder in a portable shelter. They work good and take up hardly any space.........