• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnow life?

slick2526

Question

5 answers to this question

Hi Slick!!
I am not aware of any powder that is used. I have a “Frabill Aerator” that I use in all my minnow buckets. If you are speaking about keeping them overnight or for a long period of time, I just put them in the Fridge (Sportsman’s Fridge not allowed to use the kitchen fridge???) when I get home at night. Before I leave the lake I chick the dead ones (which is very few) at the lake then when I get home I through them in the fridge and it works great.
True Story:
I bought minnows last year in early Jan. I just kept adding to them and never did release the lifers until middle of March!!! I also use lake water or true rainwater because I know there are many Bait Shops that don’t use real good filtration systems. Also use a Styrofoam cooler or bucket when ever possible. I also use the Frabill pellets and some fish food when keeping for a long time.

Works Great!!!!!
S.D. Ice Angler

Hey Slick, I have seen and used a product called "Shiner Life", it's a powder that's green in color and you just dump it in the minnow bucket with the water. I've only used it with shiners and it helps, as far as chubs they can live forever without anything special being done. I don't know where you can order it from but I know a guy that has the address for it, he has ordered it from the company. I'll try to get him to post it if allowed. <((((><

p.s., i think you meant "supposed".

[This message has been edited by TNT4ME (edited 12-18-2002).]

I use a small aquarium bubbler that a friend gave me years ago. I use an old spring wire minnow scoop to weigh down the air hose. This also give the minnows a little structure. I use a 5 gallon bucket as a minnow bucket in the winter, and change water often. If you bring in your minnows on cold nights, the water must be changed more often. I can keep shiners for weeks, and minnows for a month if you do the maintainence. Bait shop water is better than lake water.

Just curious, what makes bait shop water better than lake water? Lake/river water is a minnows natural habitat. I would think that even with a lot of filtration, a bait shop would still have many unnatural chemicals in it.

Flyingfish, To answere your question, The tank that we run right now is made by Minnowmaster, tap water runs though a charcoal filter then into the tank. This process dosen't happen continusly, only when water is drained out to fill a minnow bucket or bag and evaporation. The two things to check for is ammonia and Ph, both test kits can be purchase at a pet shop. Bottom line is to keep water temp around 47 degrees and switch water when it gets dirty from fecal. I've had minnows survive months by keeping them cool and changing water.

------------------
Get 'er done