• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mantle's

wasssit

Question

I have a coleman northstar and almost everytime I get home the mantle has ripped open. I put it in a 5 gal. bucket and going down a gravel road that's like a washboard dosen't help. How do you keep that mantle from ripping?

14 answers to this question

Wassit.

I store mine in a hard sided coleman lantern case with a bath towel wrapped around it on the inside of the case. I have never had one break yet, although this year I hardly every bring it as I have just been using my headlamp that I got off of this site.

------------------
Paul
[email protected]

Wasssit,
I had the same problem so I went and bought a $14 single mantle propane lantern. The mantels tie on top and bottom, haven't had to change one yet. They give off more than enough light for fishing!

I'd guess going down a gravel road that's like a washboard doesn't help. But lots of times it's the jarring it gets when YOU move it. Bottom line is ... mantles are delicate. They're just ash basically and they break. A bucket doesn't provide any protection really. Try putting some padding (e.g. sponge rubber, old towels, etc.) in your bucket and be extra careful when you pick it up/put it down. Otherwise, the best advice is probably to buy something powered by a battery.

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

get that headlight if you haven't yet, they work awesome. i am never buying another lantern every again. soon every person ice fishing will have one of these and i am not kidding that is how good they work.

------------------
Good luck sticking pigs this year!

i run a propane double mantle i have a plastic case and i dont pre-burn the mantles just light it up let em smoke outside a little then pull her in usally one set of mantels will last me the whole season and i fish almost every weekend

COLEMAN USE TO MAKE MANTLES A FEW YEARS AGO THAT WOULD NOT FALL OFF BUT THEY DISCOUNTINUED THEM BECAUSE U DID NOT HAVE TO REPLACE NO WHERE NEAR AS OFTEN AS THE ONE THAT FALL OFF JUST BY LOOKING AT THEM

phishnphool
Thats probably why it seams like the globes got thinner also!Or is it just my globes!lol haha!Ive been trying to find beter globes out there but no one wants to touch it for the price or double that coleman charges!Whats up with that?The thermo plastics they have on the market should hold up!????
I had a globe years ago that was made from ising glass(spelling?)and it hed up great untill it got stollen from the back of my truck!I checked prices and its to expencive to make another one!How about the thermo plastick its good to four or five hundred degrees!???????

------------------
cal