Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Inspect your augers!

24 posts in this topic

I had an experience yesterday that no fisherman wants to encounter. While drilling a hole the entire auger shaft went down the hole into 15 feet of water. Apparently the bolt that held the auger shaft to the crankshaft loosened, or broke, at the exact time the auger drilled through the ice.

After driving home to get the underwater camera (didn't bring it that day!) and fishing for my auger all afternoon, I luckily recovered it.

The funny thing is my friend asked me why the shaft wiggled the day before! I just told him that it has been that way since the day I bought it.....in 1998 (which it did and I never really thought anything of it)! Man, did he get a laugh when he saw that auger at the bottom of the lake!

I told my wife that the underwater camera would eventually pay for itself wink.gif I always seem to loose stuff down the hole!

Don't ruin a good fishing trip with experiences like mine! Inspect and tighten all the bolts regularly. I have the Strikemaster 8" Lazer auger.

Congrats on your catch! how'd that auger bit fight anyways? I'm glad you got it back CD. Hope you managed a few fish too.

Fisky

Those things are heavy and watch out for their teeth coming up the hole! I still managed to make it a true fishing trip and caught some nice eyes.

I got my auger pre-assembled and the smart person that put it together wrapped electricians tape around the bolt hole so that it can't slide out.

Goos idea. smile.gif

A little lock-tite goes a long
way in avoiding such problems.
Same for the blade screws too!!!

I noticed the same thing...same auger, too (Strikemaster Lazer Mag). Though I caught it before I lost the drill down the hole. I noticed that it was loose, so I got the alan wrench and went to tighten the bolt...and it was really loose. Now I make it a point to carry the wrench with me, and check the bolt regularly. I even carry a spare bolt with me...just in case.

[This message has been edited by Jarrod32 (edited 12-16-2002).]

Yeah CD, that ranks up there with watching your house fly across Big C at 25 MPH. Never a dull moment when on the ice with CD. Can't say I didn't warn him though, on Saturday I questioned the wobble in the head, but he said it was OK. True, watch out for those blades, I've got a little gash on my thumb from reaching in the water and guiding it through the hole.

I have a jiffy that was coming loose a couple years ago. I put on a nylock nut and no problems since!!

It's about time you register LeRoy! I knew that thread would get you goin'! wink.gif

Like always, too much fun (and challenges) on the ice!

Been there. A dab of lock tite and taped the hex wrench over the bolt with hockey stick tape.
Good Luck...

CD Do you ever get out fishing with out bringing your partner "bad luck" with you? smile.gif
Flying dash boards,grinding gears,speeding shaks,and now swiming augers.Its a good thing you can catch some fish.I would have been quite discouraged by now. smile.gif
I am checking my auger!

I used to have my Jiffy loosen up like that. I used a nylon locking nut, which hasn't budged since I put it on.

Thanks for the heads up!! I haven't checked the bolt on my lazer mag since I bought it 2 years ago. I will now.

LOL!! All good humor, eh? All these experiences haven't cracked the piggy bank yet, and I can still live by the old saying "if the women don't find ya handsome, they might as well find ya handy" - Red Green
Duck tape goes a long ways!

I've noticed the bolt being a little loose on mine a couple of times, so I always carry the wrench and check it often. I don't want to use lock-tite or tape over the bolt because that makes adding the extension a real pain.....especially if I'm doing so in the dark on the ice.

Lazer Mag Auger? Heck yes! Mine comes loose all the time...I can't even tighten it. It is like the hex bolt is stripped or something.. I lost it down the hole the first year I had it and got it back with my big magnet. Goofy engineering!
Mike

Yeah, I know that my bolt was stripped, too. I got on StrikeMaster's HSOforum and ordered a new one. Actually, I ordered two...always carry a spare! They're not too expensive.

Again I will say, wrap the bolt hole tight with electrical tape...There is no way the bolt and nut are going any place now.

Just trying to help.............

PCG

Mine did that to me one time, and I luckily caught it before it went through the ice. Then I went out, bought a bolt with the right threading but an inch too long, threaded it all the way through and added two nuts, locking the second one tight agains the first. Shazamm! No more problem. That was three years ago. Creates another step or two to disassemble, which only is a bit of a hassle when it comes time to ad the auger extension.

And now I always carry a spare bolt/nut assembly in my gear. grin.gif

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 12-20-2002).]

Thanx CD, I'm gonna go check mine right now. I noticed some wobble the other day but I just figured it was always like that, but you never know so I think I will go check it. Luckily I have a 10" and an 8" auger for my jiffy since I dont have a camera!
Dave

Glad I read ythis thread,
my buddies father in law has the strikemaster lazer mag as well, and
before we went out the other day I told him about it, so he got the alan wrench set out, and sure enough that baby was loose.

thansk

Mine was kind of loose too. You probably saved me my 10" auger, how can I ever repay you CD? How about the same way I pay every one else I owe money to, I won't. But I will buy almost anyone a beer.

CD

I too, owe you one. I got my Mag 2000 out the other day, and I could feel a wobbling in the shaft - the bolt was a good two-three turns of the wrench loose. Wrapped it w/ tape when I was done.

Considering that I only got the auger last Feb, and used it maybe two-three times las winter, your post was very timely.

Thanks for the heads-up!
UG

Just ask all my friends....if something could possibly go wrong, I will be the one to have the issues.

After I re-assembled my auger with another bolt, I drilled 4 holes and the darn bolt loosened up again!
I then took "goop" glue, my all time favorite glue, and glued it in and then duck taped it around the bolt. That should work and the glue will always come out if I need to take it apart.
Like catfish says, if it loosens again, I will go to the hardware store and buy a large bolt and lock nut. Maybe I should do that now? wink.gif