• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why is Punto in the Majors still?

RumRiverRat

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: RumRiverRat
He is terrible.

Does he have compromising pictures of Gardenhire or something?

He is the Wally Szczerbiak of the Twins.

Name a better utility player in the American league.

Willie Bloomquist.

Having said that, I will say that I like Punto on the roster as just that...a utility player. Not a starter. He's a guy that can go in and play just about any position (with the possible exception of catcher), and is a good defensive replacement and spot starter.

Because he is darn good defensively.

Punto Career Offensively: AVG .248, OBP .322 - Not great, not terrible.

Harris Career Offensively: AVG .265, OBP .324 - A little better.

Punto is better defensively, though he struggles against lefties. This is why we have them both.

You're questioning Puntos being here when we had Denny Hocking in the same role for how many years? He couldn't hit OR field.

At least Nicky can do one of them. Besides noone was whining a couple seasons ago when he hovered around .300

If you see him play in person it's easy to see why he's playing. The game I was at he turned in a number of great defensive plays, took the extra base with his speed and at least that day was the most exciting player on the field. He's always hustling, it's easy to see why Gardy likes him, defense and hustle wins games. I really don't understand why people complain about him. Is it because he doesn't hit for power? We've had other 3rd basemen hit below .250 without this kind of venom, Joe Crede most recently hit .228 I believe.

Because he shows up on Sportscenter more often than any other Twin? His defensive plays are on "web gems" and "top ten plays" more often than possibly any other player in the league. He may not produce runs at a pace YOU would like, but he prevents more runs allowed. Release him and I would venture to say that more than half the major league teams would line up to sign him.

Because he shows up on Sportscenter more often than any other Twin? His defensive plays are on "web gems" and "top ten plays" more often than possibly any other player in the league. He may not produce runs at a pace YOU would like, but he prevents more runs allowed. Release him and I would venture to say that more than half the major league teams would line up to sign him.

he has his role with the team but let's not get carried away. some teams probably would have interest at a minimal contract amount but let's not foget that he was a free agent not too long ago and there was no outside interest.

We got him in the Eric Milton deal from the Phillies, if I remember right, and since he has joined the Twins he has reached the end of ONE contract and did not enter free agency, we re-signed him. Where you get he has ever been not given any interest is beyond me

Punto certainly is not the best hitter on the team but he may very well be the best defensive player on the team. Every team in the majors has a player like him, a player that you put up with his lack of hitting ability because he is just that good defensively.

You have to be kidding me. To bad all infielders don't have the heart of Punto. The guy plays balls to the walls all the time. If he could only get that batting average up he would be a Gold glove without a doubt!!!

Cant stand the guy, the defensive part is way over rated. He may be a good defensive player, but we are only talkin 4-5 less errors vs 100+ points batting average, rbi, hr, etc vs someone else. The only reason people think Punto is a good player is becuz you think he hustles, plays hard etc. He is a terrible base runner, cant bunt and sleeps in gardy's arse!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/33615274.html

(link showing he indeed file for free agency)

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/christensen/2008/12/11/twins-re-sign-punto/

(article showing mets and phillies had some interest)

links not included but there were phillie and met sites showing that they were interested in nick as a utility or backup utility player. seems tht at one time the yankees considered him as a backup utility player too but couldn't find it now.

I was wrong in saying nobody was interested in him as a free agent. There were a couple suitors but don't think any targeted him to be a starter.

As I stated previously, there's a place for him as a role player on the twins but let's not get carried away with statements about half the league wanting him on their team.

Punto will be in the majors as long as his defense is there! I don't think he is an overrated player (defensively) at all. As most posters have said, it is his defense that keeps him here. The Twins haven't had that many great 3rd basemen in recent years. Corey Koskie was the last one with any power (he could also play some nice defense! He has made and saved A LOT of runs that would shoot down the lines or go up the middle. Someone could probably make a very solid Top 20 countdown for the plays he has made!

Anyways he even hit a homerun once as you can see here... ADMIRE THE POWER!

Cant stand the guy, the defensive part is way over rated. He may be a good defensive player, but we are only talkin 4-5 less errors vs 100+ points batting average, rbi, hr, etc vs someone else. The only reason people think Punto is a good player is becuz you think he hustles, plays hard etc. He is a terrible base runner, cant bunt and sleeps in gardy's arse!

How can he sleep there? There just can't be room with your head in the way grin

Ok, you've admitted that the Yankees, Phillies, and Mets showed some interest in him. You've named three big market teams, two of which are contenders in their divisions. That would get press. Do you really think the Royals, Diamondbacks, Indians, Orioles, Blue Jays, Cubs, Brewers, Astros, Dodgers, Giants, Mariners, Marlins, and Rockies would not want a guy like Punto on their team? If you are his agent, would it benefit you and your client to announce that the Royals are interested, or that the Yankees have called? Which press release would drive the price up for your client?