• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye rods?

bry c

Question

Will try for ice 'eyes this year if metro ice permits. What rod/reel/line combos would you pros recommend for jigging rapalas and spoons? What about using snaps, swivels, or tying line direct to those lures?

7 answers to this question

bry c,

There are lots of good rods. One that I like is the dave genz series by berkley. Medium action for what you describe. You can spend more if you want on rods such as Thorn Bros. Rods. etc. too.

I've found a system I really like for setting up my rods and reels for winter.

I start with 8 pound xl or similar on the reel since it coils less than lighter line. Then I tie on a small ball bearing swivel. Then I use about 18" of vanish in either 6,8, or 10 pound test depending on what I'm fishing for or with. This way you can just change the tip it line (from the swivel to the lure) to fit the needs.
Then I tie on a #1 fastsnap. I like the Northland brand for these better than the silverish looking other brands. This allows for quick changing of colors or styles of lures.
Remember too that you don't always want to go with a light weight line for this type of swimming lure.(Hence the lower vis vanish line for a tip it.) The action may be better with a heavier line (8 or 10) on some lures like a nils master shad and such. Experiement to see what looks good.
One other tip is to put a bobber stop on your main line before the swivel incase you ever want to add an ice buster or other slip bobber that attaches without having to cut the line.
ccarlson

Theres a couple things you should consider. How much are you going to fish? How much do you want to spend?
Walleye ice rods range in price from $5 to around $60 and up. The Genz rods will get the job done, but are made in China like most mass produced tackle. Set a dollar amount for your rod/reel combo and go from there. If your looking to spend under $30 for a combo,anything under that range is much of the same quality and features.
If your going to get out alot and really get into ice fishing, then it may be best to make an investment. Spending just a little extra can make a huge difference.
Here's an example of a good Walleye rod in have in my rod bag. Like ccarlson mentioned,i like the Thorne Bros series. The sweetheart Walleye sticks are very sensitive,made right on site in their store,consist of high quality components and high modulus graphite. The more sensitive your rod is, the more fun they can be. You can even tell if your bait has fallen off your jiggin spoon. And when a Walleye cracks your bait, you can feel it all the way up your arm.
A great ice reel for a great price is the Abu Garcia Agenda. Its small, lightweight and has anti-reverse that stops the reel from "kicking" when jigging.
I spool my reel with 10 feet or so of 8# mono then tie on 8/12 superline Fusion or the Mico-ice series line. These low stretch lines are what makes your setup even more sensitive. They also provide an instant hook set in deep water. Mono will stretch like a rubber band. Superlines also cut through water, giving a bait like a jigging rap excellent action. I usually will tie the superline directly to the bait. If iam fishing gin clear water, or fishing during the daylight hours, i will tie on a short piece of P-line flourocarbon as a leader as it will blend in with the water. If fishing is slow, like ccarlson said, the quick snaps can be good to change baits.

Good Luck

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

I use a Cabelas XML medium heavy for walleyes when I am jigging bigger baits. My clients will be supplied with a medium Cabelas XML. Very sensitive rods. They will double as perch rods or vice versa. We fish 36 foot deep for perch..big perch and need sensitive rods with a backbone. We can hook onto large walleyes and pike too at those depths. WE then go after walleyes and northerns in the trees using the same set-up.

I spool them with 6 pound Fireline micro ice (4# diameter).

I suggest you get one of the premium rods and not some noodle stick that bends all the way to the handle. I don't mean to get a broomhandle but the rod should be a fast action, medium power that will double for other species if you are only going to get one rod.

The exception would be someone who fishes for stunted perch could use the noodle rod. Even they will peg out some rods.

I have had all my rods coupled with the Abu Garcia AGULF reels for the past few years. Never a problem.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

Trust me, if you want to spend a lot of money, spend a lot of money, but you don't need to.

Lots of medium action graphite/graphite composite ice rods out there for $15 to $20. Don't buy a new spinning reel. Use your summer reels. I do. Those ice reels are so small I feel tempted to let my toddler nephew play with them.

Clear water? Use fluorocarbon leader. You can tie it right to your mono using a blood knot (there are better knots for that, I just can't remember them right now). Or you can use a barrel swivel. I never tie a snap or a swivel to the lure, just always tie it direct (hate clogging up a lure with excess hardware). If it's a lure that spins, I put on a ball bearing barrel swivel a couple feet up the line.

Dirty or stained water? Just tie on 8 lb mono and leave it at that. If you fish walleyes on open water, you likely already have a spinning reel spooled up with what you need. So spend a few bucks on rods and get to work.

Bobber or deadstick with one rod (minnow on bare hook or back-hooked to jig) and then use your jigging Raps and spoons with the other.

Oh what fun it is to ride in a one-man open Trap!

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 12-18-2002).]

Yea, thats the kind of info I was after. Thanks for sharing your expertice! Will look into fast action medium rods. A question about the fireline though, does it freeze to the guides or spool when fishing outside the shack? (what I usually do) I tried spiderwire braid and had problems with it freezing to itself especially on the spool. Are they really that different?

Any line will freeze to the guides if you're outside and the weather is cold enough. Mono holds less water on its surface than braids, though the superbraids and fused lines hold less water than the old-fashioned dacron braids. If you get rods with large guides rather than small ones, that'll help, but it won't eliminate the problem. Best to get rid of the ice on your guides every now and then by pinching them with warm fingers or (OK, some think this is gross) sticking them in your mouth.

Better yet, get a shelter. Lots of cheap used ones that are WAY better than leaving your as* hanging out in the wind.

Good luck.

i just got a frabille sensative rod and that works pretty good. the ugly stick combo works great and the rod is almost unbreakable, with good bend. check em out dont spend too much but dont spend too little. a 30 dollar combo is about as good of one as you need. dont go under 20 though for a whole combo, you get what you pay for.