Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt D

Auger trouble

3 posts in this topic

Blade pitch can be just as critical as sharpness. Sometimes they need shimming just a bit to increase the angle. My hand auger has four thin strips of galv. tin taped to it, but I haven't needed them yet. My Dad's always needs 'em in.

As for sharpness, I'd assume a new blade is sharp, but check it anyway. Needs to be as sharp as any good knife. For those who routinely run out and buy new blades, here's a tip: buy one of the sharpening kits made by Lansky or Gatco! They work slick for auger blades. My 6" hand auger blades got really rusty, so rather than go fork over $25 for new ones, I cleaned them up and sharpened them. Cuts like a dream again. Angle of the bevel was 25 degrees and the kit bracket matched the stone to the existing bevel exactly.

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

I have an older Strike Master 2hp auger. It runs like a champ and the blade is brand new (and on correctly) but doesn't cut unless I'm sitting on the **** thing. Is there a specific pitch to the blade that needs to be corrected? Any help would be appreciated.

I would say a dull blade, but you have new blades or re-sharpened blades? I have dull blades on my lazer (same problem as you have) and I'm getting new blades.
Install the blades correctly?
Is there a spacer between the blade and the auger itself? I've seen some models that require a thin metal spacer(s).