• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to do with old propane tanks

Minnetonka

Question

8 answers to this question

You can have a OPD put in your tank. Take it to a propane supplier,or a place that fills tanks for cutting and welding,they should be able to replace the old valve with a brand new OPD unit.

My Dad had a 40 pounder switched over costed $30,but he liked the tank so well he thought what the heck,and did it.

The other option is to leave it at the fill station,someone comes to pick up all the non-OPD tanks from time to time.

Hope this helps.

Down here in South-Mn, we can still get our tanks filled! just filled a 11 lb and a 20 lb tank, we have till January 1st, then they might have enough valves manufactured to get the new ones installed, but until then they have to fill them!!!! What makes me ticked, is the diffrent costs of putting in the new valve! one person i talked to says 7 dollars to replace the other says 25, their should be some type of regulation on this! good fishin.

Went to Menards in Eden Prairie yesterday, took two old 20 pounders and they exchanged them for two filled tanks with the new OPD for 18.00 each, not a bad deal I thought.
While I was getting my new tanks I noticed a few 11 pounders in the cage. You might try there.

[This message has been edited by danny berg (edited 12-17-2002).]

Just a note on the propane exchange places....was told that some of the new tanks (Blue Rhino for example)have magnetic valves on them so they can only be filled (or exchanged)at certain places. This may not be an issue if you always go to the same place, but some of us need tanks filled in all different and remote areas. Was told this by both Home Depot (who deals in Blue Rhino) and by Little Bighorn LP. Not sure if it is true, but thought I would let others know what I was told.