• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar FL-22 HD - Consumer Reviews

OnIce

I used the FL-22 for a couple hours on Saturday. I really like how the Tri-beam worked out. I was fishing in 14 FOW and was really impressed by it. It did everything I expected and glad I upgraded my FL-8. I flipped back and forth between using the 20' setting and the Auto-Zoom. Nothing but spectacular in my opinion.

The real test is in a week when I head up to my cabin for three weeks while I'm on Winter Break. I will be fishing nearly every day and plan on using it extensively.

Good luck and either way I don't think you can go wrong!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used mine for the first time on Sunday. I was very impressed. It was fun to mess with the different beams but it will take a little time to figure out the fine tuning. I upgraded from an FL-18 and really like the flat screen. I was fishing a little flat in 17 feet and used the 20 degree most of the time but when I got a mark I would toggle back and forth. When I was using a jigging spoon I would tune it so I got a nice green line. When it turned red I would set the hook. There were a few times that I would have been waiting to feel the bite with the 18. I need to get out a few more times before I feel 100 percent with it but so far I love it.

I'd like to read some reviews from people who have spent some time on the ice now with their FL22's to gain perspective from them.

Hopefully some of you have used a Marcum LX-5 as I am looking for your input between the two.

The screen itself on the fl22 is amazing. It has much narrower light segments than the marcum and is thus called high definition.

If your fishing panfish, I don't have much input yet and you should probably try and fish them side by side before you buy. I think the only situation that a vex fl22 would be an improvement over the precision of the lx5 would be in shallow water (likely only under 10'.) If you run the zoom, the marcum is probably more precise in that situation too.

For walleye and perch over 10' I'm certain the lx5 is the most precise machine available. I've seen them running side x side 9 or so days now. I'm about to list my dad's unit for sale, but if anyone wants to meet up on the ice and see for themselves, shoot an email [email protected]

My buddies that are 2-3 weekend trips a year, novice but enthusiastic, all have loved the fl22 and have immense trouble running the lx5's. Running the zoom is a huge hurdle when your double fisting beers AND trying to have a good time.

Has anyone used the tri-beam on a FL-18 yet? I am thinking about buying one but haven't decided if it is worth it. I have read in this thread that it should work but I was hoping someone has tried it.

I currently have the 12 degree but have thought about purchasing the dual beem 9 - 19. Any suggestions?