• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best bike for a Beginner

stop4mallards

I guess all the other bike makers that make a ride that people think are H.D should write their name PROUDLY on the side of the gas tank then to avoid confusion... Maybe its because even when they do I cant count the number of bikes I've seen with the "badge name removed".... wonder why??.

Man I wish I could have been with you to see your face when the guy said nice Harley madmadgrin I've seen the classic case of "Harley envy" a thousand times man.... trust me the best thing to do is stop fighting it and join the group of the guys that aren't always trying to defend their choice of ride to justify their purchase (to save a few bucks) in their own mind.

Instead of writing a big flaming response of how I'm so wrong and all that save your energy and Simply work a little overtime and shell out a few more shackles and be happy with what you ride wink After all you said yourself everyone else says their the best...must be a reason for it smile

Oh yeah, P.S. for my riding brother that will read this............... B.lack R.ose O.riginals baby grin

Gee, another guy that has harley bashing every other bike out there, that is something new. You really don't get it, I DON'T WANT A HARLEY. No envy, just my choice. Get off your horse. Please, don't judge me, you don't know me from shinola, and on your 14th post here, WOW.

Getting back to the op, get a bike that you are comfortable on, not too big (displacement wise, and physical size) and cheap, more often then not, you will put the bike on it's side learning the ins and outs of the machine.

Go out and sit on many, many bikes. Any in your price range you have an opportunity to. If a salesman or a friend can hold the front, you can see about the riding position. They are all a bit different, but you will quickly know whether you want a sport bike i.e. Ninja, a cruiser i.e. Shadow, V-Star, Harley or an in between i.e. BMW or Nighthawk. That will narrow your choices significantly.

I'm a fairly big guy, so I would NEVER go smaller than a 650 and only would go that small for an around town bike with very limited highway use and NO TRIPS. And ALWAYS solo. If you plan on 50-50 intown/highway or some two-up riding, 800 would be my minimum. No that you will probably not be doing two-up riding tell you have a number of hours under your belt. Not fair to your passenger.

Lastly, in an under 1000cc bike, feel very comfortable buying a used, late model bike. You will often be buying someone's first bike and they are now looking to upsize. No sense in you paying that new, quickly depreciating price.

Just my 2 cents and certainly nothing more than opinion.

Gee, another guy that has harley bashing every other bike out there, that is something new. You really don't get it, I DON'T WANT A HARLEY. No envy, just my choice. Get off your horse. Please, don't judge me, you don't know me from shinola, and on your 14th post here, WOW.

Maybe there is a reason why so many people are choosing Harleys over other bikes.

My first bike was a Yamaha YZF600R. It was a bit modified and VERY fun! I had absolutely no motorcycle experience prior to the purchase. The first time I ever road a bike was about 2 minutes after I cut the check to the guy in my driveway. Surprisingly I never laid it down in the 2 or 3 years I owned it. Didn't lay down until some short guy came out to test drive it when I was trying to sell it and ended up laying it down in my driveway. Aggghhhh!!!!

Sold it so I could buy a truck to pull a boat with. Haven't ridden a bike since (other than the nephew's dirt bike). I sure do miss it but the with three kids and a wife now it doesn't look like I'll be owning one any time soon.

As others have stated it really depends on your preference. Get something light enough to remain maneuverable, but beefy enough to keep you excited. Sitting on a few bikes and talking to some sales people should really help your decision.

If I did it all over again I'd go with a HD 1200 Sportster.

My first bike was a hyabusa, probably not the best choice but I'd spent thousands of hours on dirt bikes and atvs, wasn't a problem at all. Honestly, I would recommend a sportbike over a cruiser for a first bike any day. As long as you're not stupid with it and just know your limits you'll be fine, and it's alot harder to dump a sportbike than a cruiser, especially if anything hairy happens.

I guess I wouldn't recommend a Harley for your first bike. You can do so much better for the money with Honda or Yammy IMO. Resale will be every bit as good or probably better then a Harley..

Then again what do I know about spending money wisely.... grin

dddddcustom.jpg

Close to 30k?? Not in today's world...... The same or better resale with a japanese bike compared to h.d...

[NOTE FROM ADMIN: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank You]

I have owned 3 Hondas that I was lucky to get half what I paid when I sold them....I have owned 3 harleys and sold the first two for the same price I paid for them after lots of years and thosands of miles use. I don't think it takes a math wizz to do those numbers. And like I said my buddy would like any help he can get from those that know so much where he can get his shaft drive and tranny replaced for his 10 year old Honda for less than the book value of the bike? ? Even if he could it doesn't sound like the best investment of hard earned money to me. He sure wishes he would have paid more up front and bought an American bike. O.k jap owners flame away of how it's so much smarter to pay less and get [PoorWordUsage] for resale along with non existent replacement parts, or at least very expensive..more than realitve value of the bike parts..,,, But some guys will allways defend thier choice to avoid admitting they made a mistake in the first place. Go ahead and live in ignorance As long as it makes you feel good and you really don't ride enough miles on a bike before replacing it to know the difference.

I was able to dump my Harley last year for a 1125R. You guys talk about Harley resale...They gave less than half what I paid for mine 5 years before.Harleys are great if you like 30 year old technology that is air cooled, under powered and over weight. Harleys are less than 80 horse power and over 600 pounds. It was fun collecting the nice chrome pieces harley t-shirts while I owned mine. I will never buy or ride another Harley after riding bikes that have current technology.

For a new rider I would look at the 250 ninja or buell blast.

But some guys will allways defend thier choice to avoid admitting they made a mistake in the first place. Go ahead and live in ignorance As long as it makes you feel good and you really don't ride enough miles on a bike before replacing it to know the difference.

Sounds like a little bit of the same thing going on here. wink

Anyway, if someone buys any brand "new" they can expect to lose a fair amount the first few years. I've only bought one new bike (Kawi) and sold it for over half what I paid new at 10 years old. All of the others I've owned were used and I've made money on several. In 40 years of riding (34 of those as a mechanic) I've worked on enough motors on both Harley and other brands to know which one will easily see 100,000 plus miles and which will involve a rebuild or two to get there.

For a beginner, a good midsize cruiser 650 to 900 with a good center of balance makes for easy learning.

I know of lots of 20 + year old harleys still rolling. Some with over 100k on them. Sure some have needed the top end rebuilt but if your a good wrench you can dammm near do that on the side of the road for a few hundred bucks. The bottom end are bullet proof and have usually never been opened up. I think thier beauty is in the simplicity...less moving parts equals less to go wrong. Yep the are heavy and slow but if you want a cruiser and aren't worried about setting any track records who cares. I have owned both types and guess the older I got the less speed and handling corners mattered and just preffered to putt along happily on "the old tractor" so to speak... To each thier own I guess.

Does it really matter what a person rides, as long as they can enjoy their time on the road?

If I could go buy a V-Rod right now, I'd do it. Love the ergos. But I've always been more of a speed/handling freak, to which Harley cannot accommodate my needs unless I were to buy one of the brands they have since dumped i.e. MV Augusta. But it doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy one...pocket book willing.

Until then, I will buy what I can afford and ride the snot out of it.

P.S.

Sweet looking bike Pier.

Best bike for a beginner would be a used one in the 600 to 900 CC range that wont cost ya an arm and a leg. That way if you fall over and or decide you do not even like riding bikes you are not out much money.

I ride a motorcycle. If it truly matters that much to you to some of you what kind it is, then you just keep on goin down the road and I'll ride with the next guy that comes along. I won't bash you and do not appreciate you bashing me simlply because of the brand of bike that I/we may ride. Take care and N Joy the Ride

Yeah I am looking to take the plunge this year. Can't decide if I should go with a bike that that is smaller or go with something a little larger. Really looking at a mid size cruiser style. What I have be really thinking of are either a Suzuki Intruder 800 or a Vstar 1100. I think in the long run I would be happier with the 1100 Vstar, but wondering if it might be a little large for beginner. I am not a small guy, but not a burly 250 lber either.

I liked the Silverado when I was looking for a bike. I just liked the Connie a little more. When I think of the Intruder, all I can think of is the steering head angle compared to some other bikes. If I wanted a bike with a more swept out steeering head angle, I would have gotten a V-rod. Loved the ergos of that bike, but just not very passenger friendly over the long haul.

I've always liked the Suzuki line but with their limited offerings/new models this year, I opted to look elsewhere.

If it's a cruiser bike you're looking for and willing to go with a "Big 4" brand, also take a look at the Kawasaki Vulcan 900. Along with the Silverado, quite possibly the best bang for the buck.

Don't think that they are making the 1100 much longer if they are even still making it now. Star came out with a 950 last year to replace it. The Lil Mrs has the 950 Tour Delux and absolutley loves it! Check them all out and get the one that is right for you! Take care and N Joy the Ride././Jimbo