• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rock and Reel holder

Gadgetman

Question

All right guys I give up. I bought one of the "tub" style holders after reading all the favorable posts about the item. Havent been to a show to see how they are to be set up and I'll be danged if I can figure out how to set the thing up. Can somebody give me a quick lesson as to how the thing works? Feeling kind of foolish having to ask but really want to try and use it in the next day or two.

11 answers to this question

Gadget, don't feel foolish, I posted the same question at the end of the RockNReel thread on the Ice Fishing Forum. Got one response so far but still kind of confused. Hopefully we'll both get more responses, once people get to work smile.gif Would be nice if they'd send some sort of diagrams/instructions with it...

Alright guys......I was up nort' fishing since Thursday....The tub mount is fairly simple. Just find the place where you want to mount it under the front lip of the tub. Make sure it's in the position where the arm flips up and into place. (arm fully extended and resting on the lower lip edge.) Take your drill and a 3/16ths bit and drill the two bottom holes. Then, mount it on the inside of the tub with two screws/nuts in place and drill the other two upper holes (easier than trying to drill under the lip of the tub from the outside.) Then, remove it from the inside and install it on the outside and you're set. You can also change it from right hand to left hand by carefully driving out the rod rest pin and re-installing it from the other side. Once re-installed, just turn the pin with a pliers with soft material on the metal so it won't get marred. When the arm is full extended, make sure the half moon slot is level on the top so you can rest your rod there. Remember that your reel is the counterbalance for the other end(lure end) of the rod. Find a good balance point for your reel and mount it there on the handle. Most rods can be used there if the butt isn't too long. Reel seat must always be behind the peg. Hope that answers your questions. I just used my tub mounted unit for the last three days and it worked well for me. I mounted it just to the right of my seat with the peg pointing towards me. It was very easy to reach down and grab the rod. Also, when folded down on the outside of the tub, it was out of the way and never got damaged in three days of pounding over the ice behind a fourwheeler for many miles........T

Thanks Tbone, will mount it tonight and try it tomorrow night. Sounds like the key is to set the balance point of the rod/reel (probably right in front of the reel) on the silver peg). Then I take it that you use it like a deadstick without the bobber, just put your hook and bait down and watch the rod tip?

Caught your report on LOW, sounds like it might be worth bypassing Red and driving the extra 50 miles to LOW. I've never fished LOW in the winter, will the bait shops help you with spots/GPS coordinates?

Blackjack.......That's right. Deadstick and no bobber. Rod is strike indicator. If you have a flasher, just watch it and get ready when the thing indicates a fish between your rig and the bottom. Yes, LOW is hot right now. We were on the NW Angle side but the south side has been on fire as well. The bait shops are good sources of info but just go to the LOW forum on here and you'll get all the info you need. The resorts you go out of will know where to go as well. Alot of the area on the south side is flat so the fish just sort of roam around out there. Sauger walleye and perch and the occasional eelpout.............T

Blackjack.......That's right. Deadstick and no bobber. Rod is strike indicator. If you have a flasher, just watch it and get ready when the thing indicates a fish between your rig and the bottom. Yes, LOW is hot right now. We were on the NW Angle side but the south side has been on fire as well. The bait shops are good sources of info but just go to the LOW forum on here and you'll get all the info you need. The resorts you go out of will know where to go as well. Alot of the area on the south side is flat so the fish just sort of roam around out there. Sauger walleye and perch and the occasional eelpout.............T

They are selling out as fast as Rick is getting them in. I think he has a few left yet. I don't know if he has had time to get pictures of them up yet, but he has the order number listed as 1-800-523-0980. You might be able to get more information from there.

GUYS/T-BONE
I have been busy than heck after the LOW trip, I do have pictures of the RocknReel, the old wooden ones and the new standup model on LOW last weekend. You should be able to see pics on the simple set up. These things are deadly. All the crappies on URL were detected on the standup model, those fish were really finicky, the rod tip came up only an 1 nch or a little more before grabbing my rod and setting the hook. The problem was I lost about 10 of those things half way up to right in the hole. VEry thin paper mouths on those guys.