• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I saw 3 Olive posted that he worked in Gustavus AK. I am thinking of going there for some whale watching for my wife's birthday in Sept. Any better charters to use? My main reason for this post is to get the scoop on the fishing there. Is it mostly via boat or is there shore fishing available? How about river fishing and is there a decent run of silvers in the area?

Thanks for the help.

I used to own an island about five miles from Gustavus and also had some land at the mouth of Good River. There is stream fishing but mainly you are going to fish in salt water. You CAN find some places to fish shore for Dollies and maybe the odd Coho. There are some tremendous coho runs in that general area, depending on the year of course. You will have much to see and do there. Its a nice piece of country. Have fun.

I don't have an answer for fivebucks, but I do have a question for Ufatz- At the sportsmans show I was talking to a resort owner who was located near Gustavus. He told me that every halibut that comes to the dock must be weighed. He said the weight of the average halibut in Homer is 19 1/2 pounds and the average halibut in Gustavus is over 40 pounds. Can that be right??

Thanks Ufatz. Trolling for silvers is OK but river fishing is too much fun. I will have to do some more research and try to find a river nearby that has a good run going and then get dropped off there and picked up or rent a boat if not too far. Any more replies appreciated.

Yeah Fishhead, he COULD be right but there are a lot of variables in there. You're talking two different fishery stocks first of all. And the resource in the Gustavus area does not receive nearly the pressure of the Homer area. I will offer this: fishing for halibut, or anything else, will be far easier, more scenic and more peaceful at Gustavus than out of Homer. Back in the day we'd just go out front of the island house and pick up a 20-pounder fer eatin'. If we hooked one of those big 200 pound slabs we cut the line because it was too much work and took too long to drag that beastie up. Remember: all those BIG fish are females; baby makin' machines.

If you have a choice, go to Gustavus are instead Homer. You'll have a nicer trip with far more likelihood of seeing wildlife and gorgeous country.

Thanks for the reply Ufatz. What do you know about fishing the kings in Gustavus. Our original plan was to go fish kings in the Kenai a few days and than spend a couple days for halibut out of Homer.

I'll bet you loved your time in Alaska!