Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slick2526

Best minnow bucket

9 posts in this topic

Hello, wondering what would be the best or work the best minnow bucket for ice fishing? I would like something that is aerrated and takes batteries so I can keep the shiners alive easier.

Easy.
Frabil makes a minnow bucket that has a place to clip a battery operated ariator on it and a hole in the top for the hose to go in to the bucket without hindering the operation of the click-shut lid. You can buy the bucket alone, or a bucket with the pump on it. I think it is a fairly decent price from what I remember. They make a larger one, like the sit and fish pail with a bigger pump on it, but I like using that pail for my vexilar, so the smaller style bucket is more to my liking for minnows.
Its a white bucket with a yellow vented lid. It is insulated and easy to use.
Hope that helps.

------------------
Born to Fish, Forced to Work!

I just use a one-gallon ice cream pail, and if I've got shiners I throw in that blue stay-alive preservative you can get at bait shops. Seems to work fine, but is definitely a low tech option.

You shouldn't have many problems keeping your bait alive during the hard water season in just a regular cheap $2 styrofoam container. The heat in the summer is what usually kills em off.

Stephen

Where I fish there's so much action a bucket of minnows only lasts a day so I recommend an old coffee can smile.gif. Only kidding, a styrofoam bucket will keep them alive for quite awhile.

I use a BettyCrocker butter container. Can get thrown around and won't leak a drop.

I vote for the Frabil. It is a great minnow bucket. It is the perfect size, durable, insulated and fairly cheap.

I have that expensive frabill bait station. I modified it this year with some spay in foam insulation to keep the liner from moving around. I run the aerator every other day or so. I keep the bucket in the garage and it will keep 2 dozen shiners alive for about 2 weeks if you change the water a couple times. They are about $60 but I am sure it has paid for itself over the last two years. They are a little spendy but work. Scott Steil

I use a little cooler. It keeps the water from freezing and it does'nt break. When the water does freeze just pound on the bottom to get the block out. I drilled a small hole in the lid to put an areator tube in it. Make sure it is not one than can freeze easily or you wont be able to get your minnies out after a 5 mile sled ride.