• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2010 Spring Open Water Reports n Ramblings

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank and I hit a creek just south of the border yesterday morning before I went to work. Caught about a dozen brookies and rainbows...

002eo.jpg

Heres dad working a minnow in front of a fish he spotted and putting him on the bank in a hurry. cool

Ok, so who did what for opener?

We hit out river at daybreak and picked our limits in about an hour. Hit another spot on our way to camp just for fun and by 10:30 ened up catchin a bakers dozen X's 2. cool

Got to camp and put the knife to a few fish and had an awesome early lunch of pan seared walleyes and some over easy eggs! grin

Took a nice siesta then hit the river again. I tried for trout and blanked - no bugs = no fish. Tank fished eyes at the tail of the rift I was in and caught 2 more. We headed home early so Beth and I could go to the Willie Nelson concert, very good show. It was neat seeing the mixed crowd there. Everything from whitehairs with walkers to young'ns with butt crack tatoos!

Took a few picts but not many.

Our first spot is almost wheelchair accessable...

001zrn.jpg

Mostly post spawn skinny river males...

006sk.jpg

009vi.jpg

My buddy did good last night at our local susky spot. We'll start hitting that probably tomorrow night...

Opening night three of us limited out with a few hrs of fishing there was alot of typical hey watch where you are going I have never fished at night before eek.They new when they got close to me the spot light came out whistle.

This morning USMC Steve, Max and I hit the water at 6am sharp by 7am we were limited out and on our way to the local greasy spoon for breakfast.No pics just some good fishing fun good opener weekend cool.

Some nice waldos guys, sounds like everyone had a good start to the season. I was unable to get out this weekend, hope to get out this week.

Thunder did Max get his limit too smilesmile. Hows work? Been meaning to give you a buzz but somehow it seems to go from dinnertime to 9:00 or so pretty quickly. Don't want to be calling you hard working guys late in the day.

ThunderChum - Nice job on the fish up there! Tank and I hit the local cesspool for a couple hours at dark this evening. About 12 guys where theres room for 5. We caught alot of just shorts but picked through em to get 2 limits. Jigs n plastics. cool

Worked fish creek right around where we were camped for the weekend. Fished from 5 am - noon. Put 1 small one on the bank. I lost 3 fish thru the morning. 1 No doubt was a waldo as he spit the jig just out of arms reach. The others were long distance spitters. Not sure what I was doing wrong as I cant remeber the last time I lost 3 solid hooked fish in 1 day. Tryin to get he boat ready to hit the water. maybe in the next week or so.. Congrats to all who caught fish over the opener..

Same bat time, same bat channel for us down here. Lots of fish tonight, had to weed through a pile of 14 inchers but we worked a limit each. The water is way warmer than normal and getting low. The smallies, rock bass, and carp are starting to move in also. It's almost over for that spot...

Nice reports guys. Drove down to the canal for the opener and probably should have just put my waders on and fished the spillway at delta. Oh well not even a bump. It was a beautiful opener as far as weather just perfect.

We checked the weather for tomorrow and decided today was the day to fish. Rain and winds up to 50mph tomorrow! eek

I worked till 3 then tank picked me up to hit the river down to camp. I fly fished for trout, he jigged up some eyes.

I had one of my best afternoons ever down there - I landed 10 trout! Usually a few hook-ups and a few landed is a huge success. You earn every one of those wild fish. 8 rainbows and 2 browns, mostly 13-15 inchers with one smaller brown and a bow pushing 20 inches! When we got there there were a few caddis hatching, not huge numbers but enough the fish were responding to em. I started off getting them on a size 14 hares ear wet. Things quieted down and they got active later on something small emerging. I switched to a size 18 black body with grey wing caddis pattern and was into fish.

The eyes were a bit slower but Tank did get 4 keepers. Plus we were only a few hundred yards apart, so he got to watch my fun...

I thought he was in this pict but hes actually about 10 yards off the left edge...

003zn.jpg

First fish, out of the water 3 times and took me into the backing on the reel(thats 90 ft of fly line out in a hurry)...

004vc.jpg

Also had a first for me, I got a shad on the flyrod. They are a alot of fun and this guy was fresh. He's a long way from the ocean but the are like baby tarpon that dont jump much...

005nqr.jpg

This pig was just shy of 20 inches!

008uf.jpg

It was dark by the time I got back to dad...

012jd.jpg

Nice fish guys that bow must have been fun nice colors cool.The walleye bite off the pier has been reel slow I haven't been out alot but the few times I have gone it has been nil. I would like to get out in the boat but 50mph winds are a little much for muah eek.

Nice pics and nice fish Tank and DC. Thunder, don't let a little wind scare you, Oneida's not so bad. Just invite Timmy and use him for a drift sock laughlaugh. Believe it or not, haven't been out for eyes yet this year. Maybe next week.

Back after 2 1/2 weeks in Florida did a little bit of fishing while we were there some in a canal behind my grandparents house Lots of catfish and Sheepshead up to 14", a few Mangrove Snappers and one big Black Drum.

The wife even decided to come out and pull a couple in.

DSC07613.jpg

DSC07672.jpg

DSC07670.jpg

DSC07453.jpg

DSC07626.jpg

DSC07438.jpg

DSC07455.jpg

DSC07452.jpg

Spent 4 hrs in the Atlantic on a charter boat (boy was it rough that day 4-6ft waves crazy ) Got into a few fish but nothing crazy here's a Queen triggerfish and a Parrotfish.

DSC07874.jpg

DSC07876.jpg

Got back on Wednesday May 5th and went out for walleye on Friday and Saturday night to one of my shore spots fished about 1.5hrs on Fri and managed to go 5 for 7 and one brown trout around 24" (first brown from this spot for the year) here's the typical size of the eyes 15-21". All fish were released.

DSC08143.jpg

Saturday went out for about 30 mins it was windy and getting colder managed to go 1 for 1.

Nice trip, picts, and report FishK. cool

Had our work detail down to camp this past weekend. Got the place tidy'd up, cut the grass, some wood, replaced all the wood on our deck and added a stone walkway and added onto the patio.

Did some fishing on thursday and friday. Tank pounded on some eyes wednesday and thursday. I got into some nice trout thursday evening. grin Friday morning we hit a bunch of eyes, then I got some trout flyfishing, and fineshed up with some shad...

A nice rainbow on the bamboo...

003mb.jpg

A solid brown...

004tqn.jpg

These guys were fresh and fun...

006ifv.jpg

I dont have a "before" pict but imagin old wood on the deck, no stone walkway, and no little patio...

010nx.jpg

Fished all night at the Oz and had a great time! Never cracked the 10 lb mark but came close. Boated 7 eyes and one 12 pound brown. The wind was almost nill which didnt help but we still picked away at em. Big and I mean big stickbaits!

Sunset...

005uk.jpg

First fish, thought it was a pig walleye till he cleared the water!

009nq.jpg

Next...

010xj.jpg

And then...

012ot.jpg

The two smallest fish of the trip... whistle

014zo.jpg

A good one...

015ts.jpg

The biggest one. cool

022yz.jpg

And a final fish...

023low.jpg

Nabbed a few hours of sleep. sleep Off to work now...

Jay, Call me..... I have some questions for you, it looks like you went with shane. I was up there last Friday and didn't get a thing but I think I know what I was doing wrong but want to run it by you and see what you guys where doing. I'm thinking about going up this Friday also.

Lee- Call my cell anytime today. Unless im in a meeting I can answer.

Yep Shane, He is cool as heck and knows his stuff! I have known him for about 12 years, met him on Onieda. My buddy knows him well and I was just a last minute fill-in. grin

Nice job on the Marble Eyes Jay

Went for walleyes 5/13/10 8pm-9pm managed this guy another typical sized eye.

DSC08144.jpg

Gills today 5/20/10 fished 7pm-830pm managed around 25-30 gills all were 8-9"plus except 2 were under 8" also managed an 11" or so spawned out female perch. Still a bit early for the gillies at this spot.

Typical sized today around 9".

DSC08174.jpg

DSC08173.jpg