• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2010 Spring Open Water Reports n Ramblings

Heres a few picts from saturday...

Daybreak...

003wsz.jpg

First fish, small but cute...

001hmh.jpg

If anyone needs a ladder, I found one. wink

004jkd.jpg

First flowers of the year...

005yv.jpg

A couple nice ones...

008mn.jpg

Ray - I have been reading tons about bamboo! I cant wait to fish the one im working on. Probably be another week or so...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds great DC. As always, anything I've got, you're welcome to take. Can't wait to see the finished rod and hear how it works. I have my first production run of the fly rods I spec'd out. Very nice for the money. Have to letyou and tank try one out and give me your opinion. Just the start of things to come!

Tank did a number on some trout today so Beth and I went for a few hours after dinner today. We had a nice time and picked a half dozen fish...

001uf.jpg

She dosnt like trying to grab trout...

003lbd.jpg

This one got educated and returned...

004njm.jpg

Thanks for letting us know you shower Timmy laugh

Now thats funny...

Heres a "timmy" post when he hasn't fished in a while especially...

Hey Guys. Call ya later Todd. Had a double headder up in Boonville last night. Second game was close. Talked to Mike hes getting the boat ready. Took a long shower. Im hungry. Rosa made riggies last night but her van has a rattle in the right front end. I'll take it over to the shop at lunch time. Tuzzy is in the office now. He's doing well. Looks like I have games all week. Keep after the fish guys, maybe i'll be able to fish next weekend. Talk to ya later Todd.

whistlewhistlegrin

Originally Posted By: augustwest

Thanks for letting us know you shower Timmy laugh

Now thats funny...

Heres a "timmy" post when he hasn't fished in a while especially...

Hey Guys. Call ya later Todd. Had a double headder up in Boonville last night. Second game was close. Talked to Mike hes getting the boat ready. Took a long shower. Im hungry. Rosa made riggies last night but her van has a rattle in the right front end. I'll take it over to the shop at lunch time. Tuzzy is in the office now. He's doing well. Looks like I have games all week. Keep after the fish guys, maybe i'll be able to fish next weekend. Talk to ya later Todd.

whistlewhistlegrin

HAHA laugh

Tank and I hit the creek at daybreak this morning and had a good time catching a bunch of 11-14 inch browns for a couple hours. I had the camera but killed the battery trying to get some video. Lesson learned but I did get one clip...

Nice vid DC and colorful brown also cool.

Today I got the chef out of the kitchen and went crappie hunting and found quite a few cooperative fish not monsters by any means but nice crappies wink.It was windy today enough to pull the lund off anchor a few times but had a good time also caught a few gills, perch and some golden shiners.

Tell Chef that I tried texting him to come over for the fight (that we never had because not enough people). I think I'll finally be able to get the boat out of the back yard tomorrow or Tuesday, I'm so mad because I wanted to add a new live-well pickup, recirculator and an Oxygenator plus work on some more wires.

I fished some on Saturday but was a bum today. LOL

Sorry about that Frank, we tried to do it but everybody bailed on us and we are pretty mad because they always say yes but never show or change their minds right at the last minute.

Those birds put the slip on me for a week last year, I know 2 of them are 3 years old or older and you can see that the younger tom just goes up in strut for a second and then kind of walks away then comes back and does it again hoping for some lady to follow him. LOL I see them every morning and every night, they aren't shy and come close to the road and one of them has a broken right spur but the one on his left is a wicked HOOK.

I'm torn up this year between turkey or walleye's seeing how they both fall on the say day, I'm almost thinking about hunting on Saturday and fishing Oswego Sunday night with Monday off to recover... LOL

Beth and I went for a ride after dinner, my vest and new rod just happen to be in the car too. And the we somehow stumbled into some riseing trout. whistle

No bugs in the air and the way they were feeding I could tell they were eating something in the surface film. Ended up getting 4 trout on a size 18 emerger pattern fished on the surface. grin

006gf.jpg

005db.jpg

This nice one got a free pass. Tank fished this am and got into a bunch of fish also... cool

015lg.jpg

Im used to it just fine. cool

Actually "most" bamboo rods of equal length and line ratings to thier graphite counterparts are only ounces heavier. But they can feal heavy if not balanced with the right reel. Modern reels can make bamboo feel tip heavy. Older mass produced rods can be real dogs, and gave bamboo a label of being heavy. Also some longer 3 pieces rods tend to be heavier.

Matching the right line to the rod is critical. It makes a difference with any rod but seems to matter more with bamboo. I had a few lines here that didnt cast bad but I found one that casts noticably better...

Opening day of PA trout season today so we headed south and found plenty of trout in our favorite ditch. Actually more people and fish than we have seen in a long time down there and it was nice to see kids catching...

Nice brookie...

003nw.jpg

Is that a troll or Tank workin a trout?

005tz.jpg

008if.jpg

A rainbow with Tank relaxin on the other side...

010zh.jpg

Great pics and stories guys. Keep up the good work!!! Ive been out once working the trout. Managed 1 14"er in the over fished stream in beutiful down town Munnsville. Its noce to go in behind all the ding bats and catch some decent fish.

Calli - Nice to see your kicking around. Seems like everyone else crawled under a rock when the ice went away. whistle

We fished this morning again. Worked alot of water but still did well. Low and clear water plus beat down fish by hoards of yahoos made for earned fish today. Think we landed about 10...

001df.jpg

We went down to camp yesterday afternoon and found some trout. Tank went up the local creek with his cousin while I hit my favorite rift on the big river. I fished for 3 hours wihout so much as a bump. There was a good caddis hatch happening but I never do well on caddis down there and im not sure why? confused

About 6ish some hendricksons started showing up and I went to my emerger pattern and was into a fish shortly after. Just a 14 inch rainbow but those wild fish down there are something special. They jump alot and use the current to thier advantage.

076gv.jpg

I picked up 3 more rainbows in the 12-13 inch range in the next hour then got busted off on abig fish. She was definatly in the 20 inch range. Things quieted down but I missed a few and landed this fat brown.

077qc.jpg

This morning was quiet. No bugs = no fish! Tank did get some more up in the creek then we headed home around noon...

Heres a pict of the rift. Big water but you just have to break it down. 80% of the fish are usually in 20 percent of the water. Each rift always has 1-2 prime sections...

078bd.jpg

spent a few hrs on eatonbrook in the kayak...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its cold out there, and no fish!

Hey Chris, When you get a chance Gimme a call please. 315-440-5462 cell or 315-875-5426 home. If I dont anser one i should answer the other.

Thanks

cali

Ok, ok yesterday was absolutely beutifull, no way I was the only on that fished?

Beth and I headed down to camp in the afternoon and I hit my fav rift for the afternoon evening...

Brought her a chair, cooler with snacks/drinks, nintendo, and a book - not gonna find a better place to relax in the sun...

008oh.jpg

Quite a few caddis in the air when we got there and they were off and on real heavy the rest of the day. I have always struggled during caddis hatches, just never found a fly or technique that I had confidece in. Yesterday that changed. I read alot on how caddis hatch and I came up with a fly. Every species of caddis hatch differnt but the main ones now emerge off the bottom with fully developed wings and are strong swimmers, useing thier wings but mostly paddle like legs. They get to the surface with gusto and have no problem getting through the film like some mayflies and they take flight almost emediatly. Thats why you wont see much surface feeding from the trout till they return to lay eggs and die. Too much energy is expended taking them from the surface during emergence but they pluck em off as the swim up.

(maybe a little long winded but its raining and I feel like typing crazy)

Caddis have no tail like a mayfly do, so I tied up some no-tail tan hares ear bodys with a full laid back tan wing. Some with a little green in the body to represent the "apple" caddis that are hatching now. I fished em dead drifted but mostly with a down and accross swing, my favorite way to fish flies as the strike is awesome. Ended up landing 5 and missing double that. Two guys accross from me got one. cool

No "big" fish but nice healthy strong wild fish...

036an.jpg

This guys been caught before...

037pl.jpg

Snowing caddis...

032cr.jpg

Heres a little video. Next time i'll bring the good camera as lighting was great but glare off the water was brutal. The fish jumps three times just off screen. I somehow forgot my net...

Nice fish guys.. I've been busy with getting the boat ready, kids with school, scouting some turkeys and I did get out yesterday and today for some Crappies and I killed them. I was by myself so I didn't get any pictures but I did snap a few when I got home and they are HUGE.