• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is wrong with my Lawn

eurolarva

End of fall I mowed so it was short and made sure all of the leaves were picked up. It is now like my lawn is going bald. All the dead grass laying on top not attached to anything Pics are below. When I picked up the dead grass there is green grass growing underneath. I only see it on my lawn and the guy next door. It is like all the grass died and separated from the dirt.

lawn1.jpg

lawn2.jpg

You'll be fine. As you said, when you picked up the dead grass, there was grass growing underneath.

You're not the only one. You may be on your block, but when you head to work tomorrow, keep a lookout, especially where snow may have piled up slightly deeper, but not packed down as if plowed or blown.

So what is the best way to get rid of the voles or prevent this from happening? Secondly, what is the best way to repair this type of damage?

It seems that these pesky critters liked my yard this year.

Thanks,

Folke

I dont think it is voles. My understanding is voles are like moles and dig tunnels under the grass. There are no tunnels under this. This looks like the old grass died and the new stuff is growing under it. The area in the pic is totally dry and I removed the dead grass and it looks fine under it. I have never seen this before and I have been looking around and dont see it on other peoples lawns.

It's all over the place if you look closely enough. As you said, when you do a cleanup, whether with a rake or power equipment, there is new grass growing underneath.

There's really nothing to do for it in the fall or over winter.

Yep, voles for sure.

I've had them in years past. This year, my neighbor's lawn was obliterated by the varmints. I don't think there's much you can do to prevent them next year, but a little goooogling may be in order to see what the pro's say.

The grass will come back. It will likely grow funny for a while where the critters dined and burrowed. The roots are still there. It will take simply take longer to grow out in those spots.

My neighbor had new sod and the winter after he had lots of damage from voles(just like your pics) i think he said he sprayed his lawn with castor oil, now after this winter he had none and I had some minor damage.

Believe it or not, this past year I drove my ATV arond the perimiter of the law and that eliminated our problem. They (volves) seem to only like fresh untracked snow. We had it really bad last year so this year packing down the perimiter seemed to work. There you go, justification for getting a wheeler!!!