• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Friends have rented a house right where the Brule hits the lake this coming weekend. I think I've clarified the many regs. for this river that....

1. This portion of the river is open until 11/15...

2. Limits are....five (5) trout or salmon in total.

Rainbow - minimum size 26" (only one may be kept)

Brown - minimum size 10" (only two may be larger than 15")

Brook - minimum size 8"

Salmon - minimum size 12"

3. And there's the half hour before/after sunrise/sunset rule..

Anything else? My first trip to the Brule and I want to make sure I'm playing by all the rules.

Should I lug both the spin rod and the (5 weight) fly rod along? Too delicate of a rod? for a potential steelhead? I've only fly fished for small rainbows on the east coast.

Looks like some possible rain for later in the week could help what sounds like a low river. Any thoughts/advice are welcome. Will surely post report (good or bad) on return. Thanks!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

daveluke, thanks for visiting the area. Looks like you have all the rules and regs locked down. As far as your questions go, I will let someone else comment on status of the Brule fishery for I am really just an inland guy. I can tell you this thogh to get you excited. I have heard of lots of guys do well in the fall on the Brule. I know we are peaked on our autum colors, so that should add a huge bonus to the trip. I end with, if you guys do end up doing good, please report back and let your fellow FMers know. Also, as a great sportsmen, practice conservation for the next time you guys travel up for some great fishing... Good luck and hope you guys have a ball!!!

Yeah, Jarrid's too busy harassing the fish on my favorite inland lakes to take the time to learn the Brule. Too bad, I believe he had(past tense) the makin's for a fairly competent steelheader, but he slipped over to the dark side(warm water species). grin

On the 5wt flyrod. Unless you're really really athletic and love to run, I'd leave it home. You might be able to get by with it in the spring, but the fall run fish are STRONG and likely to tie it up in a cute little bow and bury it in your posterior. Hook just one fall fish in the 26" range and you'll see why fishing these buggers is so dog gone addictive. Good Luck!

Thanks Guys! I figured as much on the fly rod. It'll just making packing a little easier anyway. I'll throw some spoons and spinners with the spinning gear and see what happens. It'll be nice to check out a new spot. I'll report back after the weekend.

Thanks for the river update(s), sounds like we need rain. Picked up a few avg. fish last week, but nothing worth raising the adrenaline over. Hoping to fish soon, thanks for the reg updates; keep us posted if anyone picks up some chrome.

Did anybody get out before/during the crazy snow storm to finish off the walleye season on the STL river? I know I wish I could have at least been out there while that storm was rolling in but unfortunately had to work. One good thing about the season ending is it means we are that much closer to opener!!!

Mr. Pariah, you must be ready to get into the root beer, and catch some steelie? Hope this year is another good year for you steel headers... Still waiting for that invite for someone to show me how to fish it! Every time I have tried, skunks city, although I lost one, one time!!!

Jarrid, I'm game....IF you think you're man enough to tough it out for what is usually a pretty miserable morning, weather wise. There's no hiding in an ice shelter in this game. Only real men need apply. Drop me a line and I'll help you get set up. I might even put you on a fish or two. wink

Caught some nice steelhead and coho on the Brule last Fall. Hope the good fishing continues this Spring. My favorite method is to cast Flatfish and bring them in across the current. All my fish last Fall were caught on Flatfish. I lost one on a Little Cleo and I'll use spinners too. Kwikfish are the same as Flatfish. Lindy has a promising new lure called the River Rocker. They've been having luck with them on some of the Lake Michigan tributaries.

Hello every one,found this site looking around for info on steelhead. I'm interested in trying the brule for my first time also. Sounds like lots of people fish it and looks busy. Any places to go so i can stay out of the way? I'll be using spinners and floating some jigs maybe to. I've seen on the web some people use pink bass worms,think they will work on the brule to? Hope this warm weather continues,as long as the ice is going to pot may as well be gone!

Hello every one,found this site looking around for info on steelhead. I'm interested in trying the brule for my first time also. Sounds like lots of people fish it and looks busy. Any places to go so i can stay out of the way? I'll be using spinners and floating some jigs maybe to. I've seen on the web some people use pink bass worms,think they will work on the brule to? Hope this warm weather continues,as long as the ice is going to pot may as well be gone!

People pretty much fish yarn flys, spawn sacks, crawlers, spinners on the Brule. They float a lot of jigs and pink worms on the west coast. I think I'll try those methods on the Brule. As for staying out of the way, fish anywhere you please depending on regulations. Just don't crowd anyone and if someone is fishing the top of a run, don't fish below him. Jump in above him when he's worked his way down stream. Do that and you'll be fine. Fish the pools and deep runs for best results.

COPY THAT! Big hitter. Too many new guys, and sadly, to many older guys fail to grasp the etiquette of the Brule. This isn't, or at least shouldn't be, the combat fishing you see on the MN Northshore streams. Don't crowd, and ASK before stepping into a hole that's already occupied. With nearly 30 miles of fish holding water, there is no reason to crowd people.

The neophyte would be wise to watch the successful guys and ask questions. Most of us are more than willing to share our knowledge, assuming the person asking is respectful. Good luck!

My buddy was obsessed with trying to hook a brule steelhead on a wacky rigged (chernoble) worm, on his centerpin and he finally hooked a BEAST last fall. It's a much better technique in the fall tho because the water is warmer and fish much more agressive. We use floats and staggered split shot with yarn and spawn. I can give you more info on how to rig up if you message me. A lot of guys fish fly gear but float fishing can be incredibly effective!

Planning a trip to the Brule in Sept. mid to late part of the month.

Looking for any advice on equipment, rigging, etc.

We will be fly fishing and none fly fishing. We dont mind floating, spinning, or throwing flys. (would preffer to fly fish most of the time, but want to have the best chance to catch fish also). Mainly targeting big browns and steelhead, if they are there for the taking.

Fly suggestions?

Float suggestions?

spinner suggestions?

Hoping the river is running around 200cfs, which we will then stick to the area between #2 and lake superior, however we will have time to head south of #2, if we get a canoe...what are your guys thoughts? Are we missing out if we dont do a run on the upper brule in a canoe, since we have 5 days planned for the trip.

Over all, any advice would be great.

PS, take a Kid fishing. N0 really...find a kid and take him/her fishing. its good for them and GREAT for you. If you don't have a kid, call the local group home/foster home/boys n girls club, etc... there are a million kids waiting for your call. I was one of them.

You can get Steelhead and browns Indicator nymphing low light periods of the day if the water is clear. If its recently rained its worth fishing all day and you may want to try spinners, bait and lures as well. Check the regulations as it is artificial s only if you fish north of the Hiway B Bridge. I personally fish the lower river with floats and bait during low light periods and do something else during the day. The fish are coming into the river to stay for the winter and stay in pools and move in runs and riffles for short periods during low light to feed. They generally do not stay in runs like they do in the spring due to low clear water. Alot of people fish as if it were spring and come home disappointed.

Mwal

Plan on catching steelhead and coho. Any brown trout you get will be a bonus. They all bite on the same flies and lures. If you fly fish, get or tie a bunch of yarn flies in chartreuse, orange, salmon and combinations of those colors. Get some X leg nymphs too. A few egg sucking leach patterns will work good too. If you're going with hardware, use a spinning rod and reel combo. Load up with a bunch of Mepps and Blue Fox spinners. Stop at the Bait Box in Superior and talk to Steve. He'll set you up with the right colors. Get some Flatfish too. An 8 or 9 weight fly rod will work best. For spinning, get an 8 to 9 foot rod in a medium action. The fish will be in the runs hiding behind boulders or clinging to the banks. They will also be in the deep holes. I only fish Highway 2 to the lake. Avoid the Meadows which is an area close to town unless you don't mind getting your boots stuck in the soft muck on the river bottom. Fishing south of Highway 2 ends September 30th each year. Be prepared to move from one parking lot to the next. The fish can move up river pretty fast.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Picked up on the "south vs North" error. I knew what you were saying. See, thats what happens when rivers run the wrong way. Next people will start using there left hands and woman will start to drive cars. (duck and cover)

Any suggestions on a good X leg pattern? Ive tied aprox 4,500,143...approx... in egg sucking leechs, princes, yarn flies, and something i like to call "the dinner bell". (i would take pictures and post it, but it can burn the eyes...and to describe it...the forum police would ban me and send a virus to my PC that causes warts)

We did pick up a canoe, so we will be ready to float the upper "south" (yikers) river if water is low, or if its hot and scantaly clad woman are sun bathing themselves in the area.

I'm trying to figure out this whole "floating" bait thing. When you guys say you use floats and crawlers, are you simply using a slip bobber and a split shot/plain hook, or do you use some sort of jig under the bobber? It would seem to me that fishing the big holes with current would be near impossible with a bobber and splitshot/hook. Or are the big holes pretty lax water? Are you throwing this rig out and just letting it soak in place?

We do something we call "bobber popping" on one of the local rivers that is 2-8 feet deep, for walleyes. We put a standard lead head jig with a twister tail on it and either crawler or minnow, then use a slip bobber set about 1/2 foot deeper than the water depth. we put a small split shot under the bobber to hold it tight to the slip not. (i know, its no longer really a slip boober now) We throw it out and jig it in. The bobber isnt there to be a strike indicator so much as to just keep the jig out of the rocks and moving with the current. We catch alot of walleyes out of fast water using this method as most guys throw a jig in, get snag, throw a jig in, get snagged again and then leave due to frustration.

I use a centerpin reel and a stationary float/bobber with small split shot and jig and waxie or plain hook and crawler. If fish are ver finicky I sometimes use live stonefly nymphs. I set the depth to be 6 to 8 inches above the bottom.

Mwal