• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I want to start a thread for the Brule, Amnicon, Middle Rivers etc... I will start out by saying I tried the whole experience last year with no success. We fished the brule with spinning rods, split shot, hook, yarn and crawler. I know it will be very busy this year because of the nice weather, so we plan on being wet before day light. We are going to try very hard to catch fish, but not being really familiar with the style of fishing, we need help. Any tips / knowledge to share would be helpful. On a side note, my business is conservation, that's why we plan on nothing but catch and release!!! Thanks friends wink

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NUMBER ONE RULE to remember is, learn steelheading etiquette and show respect for the guy. The Brule offers more than 30 miles of fishable water. There is no need to fish in some guy's back pocket. Before stepping into an occupied hole, ask if it's OK to fish there. This river isn't a northshore river and crowding is frowned upon. Most guys are more than willing to help you out with education and technique. But please, please, please don't fish so close that you're crossing another guy's line. You may see groups of guys fishing in closer proximity, but that's probably because they're a group of friends. As a rule of thumb, if the top of your drift reaches the bottom of another's, you're too close.

That goes true, for fishing in general. I hate when I'm in my boat on s good spot and I catch a walleye. Here comes other boats right next to me! Talk about a pet peeve! This happens all year for the most part, but I am never the guy. For example, I would rather stay away from the crowds on the st Louis in early season. It's no fun to worry about navigating the boat rather than fishing. There ate some real idiots put there. Anyway, of course I will practice fishermans etiquette like always!

You can use the hottest, bestest baits and give them the perfect presentation, but until you learn to read the water, you're not likely to catch a whole lot of fish. If I could give only one tip to a beginner, it is remember every spot that you ever see a fish hooked. That fish was probably there for a reason, be it a gravel bed, a hidden boulder, or a nearly invisible slip in the current. Once that fish has been removed, another is likely to take its place. Learn this lesson and you'll start catching fish on a regular basis.

Till a lot of fish in the river. May I suggest not walking through the shallow rocky portions with fast moving water. I hate seeing people trampling all over these spawning areas. The females are doing there thing with the males right behind them. If you disturb them, it puts a lot of stress on these fish. Good fishing people and practice catch and release!

Have a buddy heading over for the weekend camping, fishing and canoeing on the Brule. Any advice I can give him of what's in there to fish for and any tips? Thanks dudes, much appreciated.

We floated down the brule through the canoe outfitters on saturday. Having never been there, I was told the water was a little high. It was choked with weeds in alot of places. One guy I passed said he caught a few trout, but was slow compared to most outings. I'm wondering if doing a float trip earlier in the year would be alot more productive? All the signs say there are brooks, browns, and rainbows in there...what are the most abundant?

It all depends on what time of year you're fishing. There are a ton of special regs for the river. Be familiar with them before you start. No rainbows under 26" may be kept. And no bait can be used on certain portions. If you fly fish, the upper river can be a ball. If you're looking for a meal, you're better of fishing a designated trout lake for your dinner.

I'm strictly catch and release, and I don't use bait when I stream fish. I use my panfish rig with #0 spinners...trout can't lay off them smile Are you allowed to use an electric motor on the river? I wouldn't even have it in the water 90% of the time, but there was a couple wide slow spots I'd want to zip through to save time.

I don't believe motors of any kind are allowed, and the 2 wide spots that I'm familiar with, Lucius Lake and Big Lake are 2 spots I wouldn't be too eager to pass up, especially if you're there during low light. With small spinners, you should have a ball. The brookie population upstream from County hwy B is robust and the later into the season you fish it, the greater the chances you have of hooking a lake run brown. these babies can push 12-13lbs,(although rarely). Look to find fish hiding in the seams and behind boulders. They also hide under a few of the overhanging cedars and undercut banks, but that starts to become expensive with spinners running $3 apiece. I take a significant number of browns in the 15"-20" range on #3 and #4 spinners, so don't sell yourself short by using only #0's

Going to agree with pariah, if you flew through Big Lake, you missed out. That is one of my favorite spots. Early in the year you'll have trouble floating with all the ice flows and trees clogging the river, plus you'll have to dodge all the fishermen lining the river. Definitely check the regs and make sure you know where you are.

Yeah, I'm thinking if I ever make the journey it'll be in late may to early june. I don't remember which lake it was, but we stopped and had lunch and my brother-in-law stepped in a spring and sunk into the ground waste deep. It was kind've neat, I knew the river was dotted with underwater springs, but I didn't know the ground was so loose where they flow up from.

I saw lot's of little fish hitting the surface, which I assume were young trout, but I didn't see any sucker or redhorse swimming around...I would think the river is full of them? Have you guys ever caught anything else out of there...smallies or migrating salmon?

Ice flows? The upper river doesn't open until the first Saturday in May. If I encountered ice at Big Lake, I'm probably there out of season. frown

I've witnessed a canoe on the lower river while there was still snow and ice is all I'm saying.......

I've canoed up there in late november and the lakes are loaded with suckers. I guess they hole up in the deep water for winter. I've caught an oddball smallie way down river once in a great while but not up that far. I've heard of an occasional northern being up as far as the lakes though. Nebagamon river flows right out of lake nebagamon into the brule so im sure there are some escapees from the lake that get into the brule. Salmon will for sure be up that way but that would be more mid to late september.

Made my first trip yesterday. I blanked but saw a friend get one on his second drift. Colorful hen. Beautiful place, great burgers at Gronks, good friends...shoulda been there yesterday I heard.

Any other reports?

And be familiar with the regulations! Saturday evening I ran into a couple of kids from the Twin Cities who didn't know that from Oct 1 - Nov 15, fishing ends 1/2 hour after sunset. With the budget crunch our state faces, the wardens don't need any additional incentive to raise revenue. It'd be great if we could put them (the wardens) out of business by not violating, eh?