• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Apostle Islands, Chequamegon Bay Fishing Reports

Nice fish. Friday the 25th was an experience I won't soon forget. Big waves and high winds. Pulled a couple coho's and a brown shallow. Sat the 26th could not get in the water at Bayfield, fished coal docks. Not much there. Sunday was the treat. Sun and light winds in the morning, shallows were the ticket. Saw quite a few boats out there by Houghton point. Hit the hot pond a little late, not much there. Great lake you have there.. See ya next time..

Nice to see a few more folks around on the lake.. Fishing has improved since ice out. From the bay all the way around to the western edge of the islands. Fish, mainly browns, splake, coho, kings, steelhead, and an occasional brookie are still up in the shallows. Water temps are reaching the 40 degree mark or just above, where now is the time I start incorporating spoons into my spread as well. Stickbaits on the outside and spoons on long leads off riggers or off 2 or 3 color rigs on a board. Hot colors are still ruling the roost.

For other species, pike and walleyes are post spawn now. Using the shallows, where trolling techniques are producing the best. Stickbaits here too. But, in concentraited areas for walleyes, work the area with livebait rigs can be key too. Also, look to dead bait techniques for pike, especially during cold front conditions.

Personally, I dont know what is going on with the bass yet. But, from experience I am sure a lot of fish are moved in and around Sand Cut and the Kakagon. Pre-Spawn, so look to the deeper cuts and use jerkbaits (hard and soft) and slow moving tubes, senkos, and or worms. Remember, no livebait and all hooks must be barbless.

051308fn4.jpg

051308rm6.jpg

Well it looks like things are looking good, fishing wise, for the first big holiday of the year. It seems almost every specie of fish out in the bay and into the islands are giving anglers some success. Water temps are great for those looking for pre-spawn bass and are still cool enough for near shore trolling from Washburn North. Post spawn walleyes and pike are just getting on the feed too, so overall this past week has been phenomenal for a multi-specie bite.

For bass, look to the Kakagon and Sand Cut area, fresh fish are going to be in the deeper cuts but you will see fish up real shallow too. Swim jigs, jerk-bait baits, senkos, and tubes are my mainstay this time of year.

For near shore trout and salmon, stick baits as usual. But now is the time to also throw spoons at these fish as well. Either on long leads off the riggers or on 1 to 3 leadcore rigs, snap weights, or keel sinkers. Work boards right tight to the shoreline for browns and splake, but dont forget to work out over a little bit deeper water for coho, kings, and steelhead too. Fast warming water can push some fish off the breaks (Browns and splake) so be aware of this and adjust your trolling spread if your outside boards are the ones getting crushed.

Walleyes, 55 degrees to 60 degrees gets em into a good crankbait bite out here. Shallow water out in front of Second Landing down the shoreline to Ashland is a good bet to find these fish. It may take awhile to find a pod, but usually when you find them you will get multiple fish. CPR is well needed on this fishery IMHO.

Pike are getting aggressive in the shallows too. These fish are keying in on new emergent weeds in the shallows around Sand Cut and Kakagon and down the shoreline to Ashland as well. Trolling is an effective way to find where their living, then casting those areas to pick off a few more.

052008bj6.jpg

If your looking to fill your bass needs, come and get it. Fishing is definately good right now for pre-spawn and spawn fish. Am sure there are some post spawners too. Today, my wife and I had a fabulous morning, with 32 fish in the boat. From the Sand Cut to the Kakagon. Kakagon a bit slower, due to muddy water from the recent rains.

Walleyes are on the move now. Some still in the real shallow stuff, but the bigger post spawn females are moving each and everyday towards summer haunts. Trolling patterns are definately the best here to contact willing fish.

Things in the islands and into the bay for trout and salmon are now turning more into a Lake Trout game, as water temps are getting warmer. Even so, still some areas with some good near shore fishing left. But, lakers are definately set-up on their typical spots in the Flats, off Outer Island, and everywhere inbetween. Some really good catches of Kings this year, and still a few floating around in the south channel and up in the shipping channel leading to Ashland.

Inland stuff is now showing most clear water lakes with a good crappie bite and bass bite, pre-spawn and spawn fish. Darker water lakes are showing the bluegills in full force and still a strong shallow water early weed growth walleye bite.

0608084js8.jpg

0608085ky8.jpg

0603082od6.jpg

Havent had much time to type much lately.. But fishing is still good in this area, from the bay and out into the islands.

Trout, mainly lakers are the main target now. Still getting a few browns here and there and the occasional salmon. But for lake trout specifically, they are setting up in typical summer haunts as the water temps start to climb. 80 feet or deeper is the name of the game most days now. From the Flats to Outer and over to Port Wing, lakers are giving most anglers good action.

Bass are on the move now, pretty much done with post spawn recovery. Off shore weedbeds, drop offs, and rock is the name of the game now. Live bait techniques along with crankbaits, carolina rigged plastics, and swim jigs are all working. Gotta work a bit to find pods of fish though, as most fish are still in transition.

Walleyes are going well in the bay still and out over the channel edge. Harnesses along with cranks are taking fish, with some pretty decent sized ones. These fish are in transition too, so covering a lot of ground is needed. Make sure to fish through an area again if you get one to bite. Pods of fish seem to be bigger then what I have seen in years past.

Here is to a great summer bite out here on Chequamegon Bay and into the Apostle Islands!!!

0707082je3.jpg

Jim, nice to meet you this past weekend. First time up in the area and enjoyed the people, the fishing and the sights out into the islands. Didn't hook up with any of those lake trout that Superior is famous for but did enjoy catching a nice mixed bag of walleye, smallies, coho, pike and steelhead over the course of a couple days. Hoping to get back to Lake Michigan another time yet this year to try my luck, I think Mike is going over early August with a few guys but I'll be up around the Flambeau, fishing, and working on the hunting area for the fall. Tightlines, nice to have met you in person, hope to get up and out there again this winter to fish for those lakers.

Tunrevir~

Quick update here on the still fantastic fishing we have been getting into here on the bay and into the islands...

Lakers are still going strong, best bite has still been in the flats area. Person can easily get into some big numbers of fish in this area. 95 to 100 FOW areas with big flashers/spin and glos right on the bottom. Throw some spoons in the mix too for good measure. In the Islands themselves fish are being caught with consistancy as well.

Few more browns, splake, and steelhead being caught as the water temps are cooling a bit. Long Island area along with Mainland shoreline areas are your best bet with spoons and crankbaits. Some salmon should be showing up shortly, staging and in the creeks themselves.

Smallies are still on a tear, using available weeds left in the bay and on the Rock Pile along with the breakwall near Ashland. Variety of tactics are working from soft plastics to cranks to spinnerbaits to livebait..

Walleyes have been hammering too. Trolling tactics in the bay along with livebait tactics in the river mouths (Kakagon and Bad River) are key.

22incherresizeap8.jpg

richn081908mediumwebviere7.jpg

081308vc2.jpg

Hit the islands this weekend and found only a few fish. We mostly trolled spoons through the water column over anywhere from 90-260FOW. All small fish in the 3lb category, we landed several Saturday morning. Saturday evening before the storms, we got a few in the same range. Today, only a few fish, with very little action. We moved stuff all over, but marked very little, both in bait and fish, so didn't have much of a pattern develop. Purple, white, and wonderbread were the top producers.

Here's a pic of Kong of the trip, our only good fish.

smiley30lber.jpg

Great fish though man.. Old beat up beast, thats for sure.. Dont know if ya called or not, didnt get a message or anything.. But, sorry I couldnt of been more help, as I was AOL down on Lake Michigan..

Overall though, the flats are heating up for Lake Trout.. Lots of eating size fish. And what you found, smaller fish, to me is the norm in the summer.. The fish mingle together much more then other times of the year, and the smaller once out number the bigger ones, so you get them hooked up more. Just my observations.

Other then trout, walleyes in the bay are still going well. Along with bass too..

Still have colder them normal water temps though...

Great fish though man.. Old beat up beast, thats for sure.. Dont know if ya called or not, didnt get a message or anything.. But, sorry I couldnt of been more help, as I was AOL down on Lake Michigan..

Thanks Jim. I never did call; we were in a hurry, i wrote the number down and promptly forgot it on the coffee table. You should have seen the other side, it had probably twice as many lamprey marks. Unfortunately, the fish was in no shape to go back in the water. I felt if it went back, it would be seagull bait within the hour. The first lake trout i've seen personally over 40" though, it was pretty cool and we got it on video.

Awesome man!! Have had 3 fish over 40 inches in my boat through the years.. And one on top of the ice.. They are definately a rare breed any where on Lake Superior now.. Great job!!

Overall for me..

July was great and August is showing no signs of letting up for fishing action here on Lake Superior. July was filled with mainly walleye action for myself and clients. Lots of very nice fish caught and released, along with some nice sized fish for the pan as well. Our main presentation has been suspended fish on harnesses, but the crankbait bite is picking up now. And I am glad.. Love running some crankbaits. And seeing I have so many on stand by, I think they were getting cranky with me for not getting wet!!

Lake Trout fishing is hot right now too. Summer temps are finally set up and the fish are poded up in deep water, making for some easy fishing. Today, had a half day trip and it didnt take long for us to come in with a limit of some nice eating sized fish.

And, smallmouth fishing is going well too. Havent had much time to target these fellas, but from reports I have been hearing from guide friends and fellow fishers, the fish are on the feed. Many different presentations are making the bass open their yaps, from plastics to cranks to topwater to livebait. With that, coming up soon, the Ashland Chamber of Commerce is putting on a $10,000 contest here on Chequamegon Bay. Check out my HSOforum for more info on this.

072809bobweb.jpg

072909web.jpg

081109lenmadelineweb.jpg

Well we got back last night after a great day out on Chequamegon Bay! The weather was perfect. The day started out cloudy with about a 10 mile an hour wind, which creates some decent size swells on that body of water. I'm glad I brought the rain gear because every 10th wave while motoring mangaged to mist the entire boat smile

In the afternoon the wind died down and the sun came out for a beautiful end to the day.

It was our first time out there fishing for smallies. Our numbers of fish could have been better, but the size was INCREDIBLE!!!

It truly is a TROPHY smallmouth water. Our average fish was 19". My alltime personal best before the trip was 18", now I'm proud to say it is 20.5"

We are going back up in two weeks if the wind cooperates again.

Here are a couple shots of some of the fish smile

100_2095.jpg

100_2102.jpg

100_2104.jpg

100_2116.jpg

100_2118.jpg

100_2119.jpg

I have a daughter attending Northland College in Ashland so I will be up that way this winter. I want to try a little ice fishing. I was thinking I would fish right out from town. Could someone fill me in on what to expect? What type of lake access will there be? Can I drive my truck or do I want to bring the 4 wheeler or snowmobile? What species of fish is most common in that area? Any info would be great,

Thanks Fishy

Fishy,

If you keep track on this report page, I stay ontop of ice condtions, etc.. Also, review back through those pages and you will find out tons of info of where, what, when, etc..

But, if you have trouble, ask a few more questions and I can help out. Just easier then typing it all out again.

Hey Jim it looks like your the man in the island area. Coming up in mid June for a week of camping and would like some advice on how and where to target walleye.

Regards, Chris in Minneapolis.