• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

depth/fish finders

cyonko

Question

I know everyone swears by vexilars, but has anyone ever used or found any value to using a regular finder like a humminbird for ice fishing? My biggest limitation is cost $350-400 for a unit is out of my range. I see humminbird has a new portable fish/depth finder (the Pirana) for around $100. I'm wondering if its worth it? I thought I could use it during the winter for ice and the hook it up on the boat for a bow finder?
Any thoughts would be appreciated

10 answers to this question

If you can't find a flasher in your price range then I would just use a weight to find depth. The traditional $99-$200 fish finders are glorified depth finders in my opinion and basically worthless in ice season. They are not real time, nor will they show your lure or how the fish are reacting to that lure.

my 2 c

Clearwater classics work great year round otherwise spend the money and get a Vexilar-you won't regret it- you may be able to find a used one on this site or eleswhere-mine is a sitex FL8-don't know how old (10-15 yrs?) and still works great and can be used year round. Redhooks

I would have to respectfully disagree with chiro on this one. I used my Eagle "Fish-Easy" last year with considerable success in marking fish and my jig and was able to see most fish as they came in/up to hit it.

However, to be able to see that, I had to first rig up a system to hang my transducer properly in the hole. I then had to change the display mode to the flasher-like display mode (no fish icons, just lines/dots). I then had to adjust the display speed to the fastest setting. I then had to switch it to zoom mode (was fishing mostly perch & walleye on bottom) to increase the resolution. I then had to change the sensitivity from auto to manual and adjust it so my jig showed up as a thin, occasional line on the display. THEN, I could see larger signals reacting to my presentation. Once I got it set up, it worked very well, but it was A LOT of hassle to get it there. That's the big reason I just bought a Vexilar and will leave the LCR graph in the boat. Just plop the ice-ducer in the hole, turn it on and adjust depth/gain knobs if necessary, and you're fishin'. MUCH EASIER and BETTER/CLEARER INFORMATION. Used it for the first time last weekend, and I'm "hooked". Spendy, but very nice.

One last note: LCR graphs do not like the cold. Display does get slow unless you're in a house with a heater. One small plus to them is that they retain information on the screen for several seconds vs. flasher "real-time" only which just shows what's down there right now.
------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

[This message has been edited by Matt D (edited 12-13-2002).]

Matt,

I had the same experience as you last year with my Fish Easy. Most of the time I just used it to mark bottom and tell me if fish were in the area. I never messed with the flasher setting much, it seemed like too much messing around. Cold can affect the LCD finders but just keep it close to the heater and use fresh batteries and they perform. (my fish easy portable is for sale if anyone is interested, email me [email protected])

Course, I got smart this year and bought an FL-18 also. I cant wait to put it to use. If there is one thing that almost everybody agrees on, its that using a vex helps you catch more fish.

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<

I use a garmin 100 mounted to a blue box w/ rechargable battery. Mounted a thin piece of aluminum "arm" to mount the transducer with screws so it can swing up to the box while in transport and just swing it around a little to get it level in the hole, about 12" long. Turn fish icon off and turn gain up a little. LCD will freeze or function slowly in cold weather, I activate a handwarmer and put it into a stocking hat and put it behind the screen to keep it warm. If I don't mark my jig, transducer is a little off. Sometimes you just gotta use what ya got

Bry C, we are almost same. Until this winter I used a Garmin 160 rigged up just like your 100, worked like a champ, activated flasher side display and I had no problem with real time display. I didn't have much trouble with cold weather neither, I used it outside sometimes, but mostly inside HSOList.
Just because I will start a WAR if I go into deep, but I really don't see much the difference from a Vexilar (which I bought).

I like how there is some history on the screen also, seeing how they moved in and how they react. Seems on Vex, if you look away, ya never know what ya missed. I didnt really like the flasher option on, everything comes in from the right anyway.

Matt D- I used an Eagle Fish ID 128 for my first ice fishing crack at seeing fish with electronics it worked great and I set it up much like you did your easy. Had more delay in the cold but when I kept it warm it was not off by much. I still use it on my canoe. Good unit and cheap. I setup my first LED unit with ice box for $139 put a refrigerator level bubble on the transducer. It seems like forever the last time I used it on the ice.