• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hiflex runners for otter sleds

redhooks

Question

Any body try these hiflex(sp?) runners on the bottom of thier otter sleds?- I heard they pull easier and help protect the bottoms. Are they worth the money($40?) and would they compromise the ability to float or leak potential? Appreciate any input.
Big fish no wammies!
Redhooks

7 answers to this question

I have not put mine on yet. I picked up a set for my Magnum sled and got them for a song. Gander Mountain in Maple Grove had them for 19.99 I think as long as you seal the inside where the holes are you will be ok.

I mention my innovation everytime this comes up. I used aluminum strips. The fit exactly with the indents in the front of the sled. I countersunk the holes and used pop rivets. The whole deal cost 10 bucks.

I have been saving the used hyfax from my snowmobile. Haven't put them on yet due to the floatation/leak issue. I'm over that concern now and feel that putting silicon on the bolts to seal it up should be good. The hyfax kit for my otter resort is around $60. Snowmobile swap meets sell hyfax for $5-7 ea. Alot cheaper and serves the same purpose.

How many places are you going to fasten?
I'm thinking 3 should be enough, back-middle-front.

Aluminum would not be a very good choice for the bottom of a sled. it would have a tendancy to freeze to the ice very easily. Aluminum also has a very coarse and grainy structure to the metal which gives it a very very high coefficient of friction. As someone who has missed a few turns with aluminum riverboats and ended up on gravel bars more times than I care to remember. I can tell you that aluminum is probably the worst choice for something that needs to be slid or drug. grin.gif

I put some on my Otter magnum last year and yes it does make it easier to tow . I just used the screws that came with it and no sealant and it does not leak at all. It is a bit of a job to put them on. Much easier to install if you have two people . They seem like they might break when you bend them on the front curve put just bend them slowly.
Cheaper to wear out the hyfax than the sled definately worth the money.