• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Dad lives in Central WI (Marshfield) and I am planning to take him out ice fishing next weekend. I'm not looking for anyone's hotspots, but would really appreciate a list of a few decent ice fishing lakes or river pools. Not fussy on the species, just want to get out and find some action.

Thanks!

Shiltsy,

Do you want to stay in Marshfield or are you willing drive towards point or Wausua?

I am not familiar with the Marshfield area all that well.

If you are willing to drive east I can give you some places to fish. I would go with ya but I will be up on URL next weekend.

RiverFish

You may also want to give lake Dubay a try or one of the numerous backwaters of the WI river to the north and south of point. I have heard first hand though from a couple buddies that the ice has DRASTICALLY changed over the last week on Dubay after they must have opened up the dam and the current has chewed away at the 20 inches of ice leaving spots with only 2 inches.

Water levels have been starting to go down on the reservoirs in anticipation for the spring melt. Water level drops started on Feb. 1. Be careful near channel areas. I don't have a current report since I haven't been out in a few weeks, but I've heard Dubay has been ok. Backwaters of the wisconsin have been slow. I've had my best luck this season on Petenwell with many big crappies and some undersized walleyes. If I were you I'd check out a HSOforum frequented by wisconsin anglers that rhymes with steak rink with a dash in the middle.

Petenwell is a great place to fish. Mixed bag caught there, walleyes, white bass, crappies, and catfish.

I have never fished there, but from what I have been told you need to find the current (the main river channel) and try to find structure, usually tree stumps.

If you go there I am sure you will see other anglers or where other anglers have been. Apparantly fisherman are lined up on the channel.

You may have to watch ice conditions there as well.

Anyone been on the Pete lately?

Its been pretty SLOW. The dams have been opened up some now so there is definitely more flow now which is changing ice conditions quickly. All of the big community areas have been pretty quiet lately (rusty's, tiki, pipes). It was a lot better a while ago. Weather is suppose to be nice this weekend so we will see what happens. Good luck!

First time out on the ice this hard water season. Fished River Rd slough. Ice was good we had probably 8 inches of good ice and we were fairly close to the main channel.

Ice was good fishing was not. We probably caught 4 or 5 small crappies in 3 hours of fishing this am. My son missed a lot of fish on a bobber and small crappie minnow. We fished plastics and crappie minnows. Seemed like the fish that did bite were more so on crappie minnows.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I went out today out of the new access on River road. Caught one 12 inch crappie and one small on. Marked a lot of fish. I think this weather has them a little messed up. I will be heading out tomorrow again and will give another report.

Glad to see a few reports coming in. Hearing some good things, but as usual the backwaters are either hot or cold, but if you move around one of them is usually producing. Glad to be back in Point for the winter after a year fishing elsewhere

Out this am on the WI river. Fishing 15-17 feet of water. 15-20 walleyes with only one being over 15 inches, still fun though. Also caught 2 mudpuppies, one even hit a zip lure.

Walleyes caught on fatheads on small jigs, also caught a fair amount on zip lure and lindy rattlin flyer.

Fairly slow this past weekend for me. Out both Saturday and Sunday mornings. Only the small eyes were biting. Fish were not very active. They were not chasing off the bottom. Most eyes caught on bobber and fathead very close to the bottom.