• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buddy heater goes out?

Question

Just used my Buddy heater for the first time today with a new one pounder. There was hardly enough breeze to feel but, it kept blowing out the pilot. What is the deal? I thought these were supposed to be better than canned beer? If this is how it performs I am taking it back. Has anyone else had this problem?

Hey, atleast the Crappie bite was excellent!

18 answers to this question

Yeah, if had more room in my portable I could put it behind me I guess because I do like the clean heat that it puts out.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, might have to start workin' on the little woman about getting a portable with more room grin.gif

I just had the same problem with mine last night on Green (Princeton). I put it up on top of a bucket and it worked alot better. Did have a wind blowing in under the shelter which blew out the pilot, but also the propane tank needs to be off the ice to keep the propane warmed up - if cold it will stay liquid and at the bottom of the tank.

If you sneeze in your fish-trap the buddy heater might go out. If you set the hook on a fish too fast...The breeze from your rod could put the buddy heater out.

You know, those mini-heaters that sell for $19 that screw on to a 1# propane tank work pretty darn good, don't blow out, and provide the same clean heat.

PCG

[This message has been edited by Pro Crappie Guide (edited 12-23-2002).]

It's good to know about the problem with the Buddy heater. I'm glad we decided against it because of the BTU's but now looks like it has other issues. We will stick with our Mr. Heater/Cooker. We have never had any problems with that, and it has enough BTU's for those really windy cold days.

--------------

Hey! Your bobbers gone! shocked.gif

Fishn'Lady

You can find the old style at some hardware stores, Pamida, etc. for about $19.

The new style has a thermo-couple on it now, and sells for $29 at Wal-Mart, Gander Mountain, Fleet Farm and Sport-Mart.

I think they work good for fish traps and small houses and are lightweight and take up far much less space.

PCG

I have a Buddy heater that I use in my Fishtrap III and I like it, primarily because it doesn't give me a headache. I also like its portability and easy starting. Granted the Mr. heater throws more heat but I couldn't stand the headaches. I tried some of the smaller heaters (Blackcat, Poulan) and they didn't throw enough heat. The Buddy is nice unit that gets me out fishing on the early ice, giving me a place to warm my hands and throw some heat in the shack. In a few weeks I'll be using my big house and The Buddy and the Fishtrap will be stored until its time for spring fishing. I'd recommend the Buddy to anyone.

As far as the wind blowing it out, all you have to do is start it in your shack, which should give it enough wind protection. Make sure your tank has gas in it. If you're trying to run it outside in the wind, of course its going to blow out.

[This message has been edited by BLACKJACK (edited 12-24-2002).]

Walleye Soldier, I have two small heaters that I'll sell you. The Poulan is a minature version of the Mr. Heater, it fits on the 1 lb cylinder. It cost me $20, I'll sell it for $10. The Blackcat was my first stab at a catalytic, trying to eliminate the headache factor (see my post above), it was Ok but it didn't throw enough heat. Its one of the older models without the fan, goes on the 1 lb cylinder. Bought it for $30, will sell for $15. Both these were only used one season, they're in good shape, but not enough heat for my Fishtrap III, they might work good in a one man portable.

Blackjack, I appreciate the offer. I probably would've taken it up, but a blackcat was waiting for me under the tree this morning. I've just got a oneman homemade fishtrap, should be enough heat. Merry Christmas

I bought one last year and used it a lot and I discovered that it works quite well even in rather windy conditions if you just take the time to read the directions and light it up the right way. You have to make sure you continue to hold the red button down for a good 30 seconds after it lights. I'm not sure what that does machanically but it makes a big difference as far as keeping it going in the breeze. I almost always fish in my portable house and it works great in there.
Also I wouldn't be so quick to go get yourself one of those small screw top heaters to use in an icehouse. Those things are not safe to use in a small shack, you will get a headache and that means your getting poisoned. If you are going to use one make sure you have some ventalation. Be safe!!

mr. heater all the way had mine for while use it in my clam junior and fish trap pro never got a headache. in the clam I always leave both doors zipped down from the top 4 to 6 inches and the trap has mesh vents and they keep you **** warm

I just picked up a Buddy heater, and the low oxygen shutoff was the big selling point for me. My #2 son and I were fishing in the old style 5600 Clam a couple of years ago and after about an hour I went to light my pipe. My Bic lighter wouldn't light. Neither would my spare. We finally figured out that our sunflower style Mr. Heater had used up the oxygen. You could say that tobacco saved our lives. I'll put up with a heater that sometimes blows out as a fair exchange for that low O2 shutoff. I also dumped that fish house for the new one with the vent holes.

Remember that at times the provided vents may still not be adequate ventalation.

I always left a zip door about 1/3 open on my 4x6 portable, as even with the Mr. Heater on low it would cook me right out of the joint.

PCG

I have a Paulin 3000 btu tiny sunflower and a heater/cooker. They are both on garage duty since I got the Buddy last year. I've had it blow out a couple times when I flipped the top on my shack but not hearing the airplane noise and getting fumed out is worth more to me. It really shines it the permanent shack. One thing I like is that it helps keep the holes thawed out being close to the ground. I have seen a square 11,000 btu heater that goes on a bulk tank like a sunflower but rectangular shaped but has the quiet catalytic element at the local bait shop for $41. It isn't adjustable though :-(
I can't remember the name...(Glo-Warm???)

Later,

Ferny