• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ugly Stick Tiger vs Tiger Lite?

simple1

I am going to get the 7' MH Ugly Stick Tiger Rod and now I see they have a tiger lite... Does anyone know the difference with these rods. What I have read, the lite version is just lighter but with the same strength. Is this correct? Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Simple1

Yeah pretty much, I think the tiger lite has more graphite in it I believe. The blanks are smaller in diameter.

The regular tigers have an e-glass outside and a graphite core. I believe the construction for the lights is the same but with more graphite in the core?

I just picked up one of these with a x-mas gift card (well, a tiger lite 6'6'' and not the 7' like you're looking at), and am excited to try it out. It was exactly what I was looking for in a MH spinning rod. I didn't get mine for catfishing though, I got it for pike fishing.

The lights aren't EXACTLY the same as the regular tigers, I think the tigers handle heavier weights a bit better, so if you're pitching heavy sinkers I'd go with a tiger over a tiger light.

Check out shapespeare's HSOforum for exact specs on each rod.

I have an 8&1/2 ft Heavy Ugly Stick that I run 80# Tufline on. What's the difference between that one and the Tiger? It wasn't too cheap, but it seems stout enough to tow a truck with it. And there's no way that you could ever call it light.

I dunno but the "regular freshwater ugly stik" in medium heavy isn't rated above 1 oz. for lures. There are some other MH rods in the "regular" ugly rod section on their HSOforum that are specialty rods, like their catfish and striper series, rated at higher weights.

my MH tiger lite is rated for 1-4 oz.

They're all just different rods. I needed a spinning rod for tossing around 2-3oz pike lures, and this was the best fit at under $70 which is my cutoff for rods.

I have the 7' tiger rod and its a great rod it has 8 guides plus tip MH 30-60lb test

tiger light rods is only around 30lb test line

tiger light jigging rods is for 100lb plus line

I have two 7 foot tiger spinning rods paired with the Okuma Avenger 65's. They range around $100 to $110 total for the combo. I used the 50 size Epixors for years and have loved them except for the fact that the handles are prone to being bent and broken. The 65's are significantly more solid then the 50's.

The Tigers are by far my favorite rods I have used to date......

I love some of the higher end rods as well and maybe someday I'll have me a couple nice custom cat rods built. But for now the Tigers will have to do.