• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morson Fishing Reports, LOTW

Fished four spots yesterday no extensions needed ice thickness 2 to 3 feet aprox 8 inches of snow on ice and melting fast temps stayed above o over night. We drove four trucks up to miles bay did see one four wheeler up there. With the warm temps forcast a snowmobile or four wheeler should be fine for this upcoming weekend. Fishing was great on saturday for crappie and walleye much slower on sunday. Fished in a t shirt part of the day sunny no wind had a fish fry out on ice was a great weekend.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it was a crappy trip for fishing but fantastic weather. Fished Friday and Saturday. Couldn't go far on the sleds because of my recent back surgery so fished reefs near the cabin. Not many. Enough to feed the group Friday night and we did get a 6-pounder on Saturday, 26 inches. But pretty poor. I lost our 18th annual contest trophy for the first time in 11 years!!!

I think the 'eyes have moved off the reefs and maybe toward points more because the Big Island clan had a contest Saturday and only weighed 43 fish. pretty slow.

It was close to 50 degrees both days and we mostly fished outside, almost no wind. Gorgeous. We had the blaster blasting and had a few beverages and goose chili on the ice!

The snow is going fast -- on land travel is going to be touchy for snow machines.

I'm glad we had the extension on the auger because it was close but probably could have made it without it.

Rain and warmth are going to make it messy -- but one, maybe two more weeks might be possible.

Seems like the only option is the river. Don't have my regulations book with me so can anyone give me a quick summary of daily limits, size, possesion etc for canadian side? Any pointers would be helpful also being my first Spring rainy river trip. Planning on putting in at Rainy River park. Thanks in advance. WFT PS what kind of trouble does one get into if I'm a US citizen fishing on the canadian side and accidently slip onto US side?

went out on sunday with my dad and 2 others. caught about 20 crappies and 8 nice perch west of Brule Pt then headed on west to a spot for walleyes. got a mess of eaters. My buddy said he wanted to catch one over 10 lbs well he got his wish, he caught a 10lb 10oz pike on 6lb test. He said next time he will have to be more specific. it was so calm out there we could hear wolves howling towards the Fish Narrows area ( its a few miles across there ) when we were fishing by Brule Pt. Tire chains woulda been nice or studded tires. cleats on my boots were nice to have on that day. ice is getting bad....the bottom half is like long spearhead like chunks and when the auger hits that it drops right thru it. other than that it was day well spent!

Went up over the weekend for one last winter trip. Caught a few crappies and nice perch in Miles Bay. Also caught some Walleyes in 16 feet of water on edge of one of the reefs. Beautiful day on Sunday.

I am interested in trying some spring crappie fishing in around the morson area. Just wondering if there is a good spring bite? I have only fished crapies up there in the winter. Just looking for any advice or tips and if its worth coming up for crappies only.

If you would like to try spring crappies head for the miles bay/Thompson creek area. The crappies will remain deep until the water begins to warm into the 60's. Try 20-25' of water to start like you would in the fall and winter. Crappies will begin to stage outside of the smaller bays and the mouth of Thompson creek within the next few weeks. When the surface temperature reachs 65F the Crappies will begin to get ready to spawn. Fish shallow in the bays in 1-2' of water with slip bobbers and small jigs. At 68F the crappies will spawn and will remain in tight pockets in these small finger bays of the main basin in front of Thompson creek.

We are open for business at Gill's Morson Marina for bait and fishing licences.

We fished pretty hard Saturday. We fishing many sandy/rip rap and weed bays, anywhere from 6 - 15 feet, with most in the 8 foot area. Water temp was about 54. We had two boats and four fishermen, mainly trolling spinners w/minnow. We caught 18 walleyes, along with a few smallies and northerns. Sizes were 15 - 20".

Fished Friday - Sunday and had very good fishing. A little breezy but a great weekend. Caught all kinds of walleyes in 5-9' anything from 7" to 22" being our biggest. Just jigs and minnows in sand/rock/rip rap bays and points. Back up Memorial Weekend.

Looks like the water temps might be pretty varied if the fish are all over? Headed up this weekend too for the annual father/son lake trout trip that won't involve any lake trout (been changed due to early ice melt and poor results on trip). We'll be going for walleye instead!

Fished out of Morson Wednesday the 26th through Friday the 28th. After trouble for the third year in a row with my cranking battery (purchased from a well known seller of batteries) and a minor scrape with a rock that I should have known enough to avoid, we finally got lines in the water two hours later than normal. We found fish on the normal late May spots, only deeper. We did not catch the usual numbers per day or the normal amount of good eating size. We did, however, catch more 20" plus Walleyes than we usually do. Friday's lightning kept us off of the water until 2:00 pm and chased us off the water earlier than we would have liked to have come in. Despite all that, still a good three days of fishing at LOTW.

Good to see some chatter here. I was thinking everyone had died over the winter!

Kind of a crappy Memorial Day Weekend weather wise on on Lac Du Bois. Went up Thursday night in time to mow the lawn by twilight until nearly 10 p.m.

Fished a smidgeon on Friday a.m. but big lightning, wind and rain (over an inch) came in and didn't get back out until late... not much going on... Saturday looked threatening but the rain and storms held off and managed some very nice fish... got a 27.5 (first walleye of the year!!) 27 and a 20... although not a lot of keepers, but enough to feed the family... on Sunday the really crappy weather hit... caught a few small ones before the but souwester blew in with misty rain... big whitecaps... didn't let up until after dark... Monday was the best by far and caught a nice flurry of fish off a rocky point with wind blowing in, including a 22 and a couple 18's... until we ran out of minnows.. tried using Gulp Alive on spinners and the walleyes would hit, I'd crank a few times on the reel and they would fall off... very frustrating.... won't run out of minnows again....

water temps 59-62 degrees.. fish 8-18 feet... rocky points and current... not much going on in the sand... saw some people fishing reefs already but the only person I talked to who did it didn't catch squat...

Back up in 2 weeks...

Keep posting dudes, and fork over that critical data

My God, it's June already!

Was up for a father/son trip with 3 other dads/sons from Friday to Tuesday. Unsettled weather and wind seemed to be the norm. Got a few on Saturday, a bunch on Sunday night as the wind was dying down (working an shore that the wind was blowing into) and a few more on Monday up in Miles Bay on various spots. Too many small ones, but we managed enough for dinner twice. Mostly caught on jigs and minnows. I did get rained on out in the boat on Monday afternoon (rain gear left in cabin, drying from the night before), then it even hailed... I wasn't too happy about that. Up next weekend (not THIS weekend, NEXT weekend) for a father/daughter trip for 4 days. Water temps ranged from 60-65... even saw some algae starting.

We were up for three weeks and had some of the best walleye fishing we have had for opening. My wife and I limited out every day. One 10 lber., two at 29" and many more from 20-28". Most were caught on 1-1/2 oz. Bottom Bouncers with a hammered gold or copper spinner rig. Minnows or piece of crawler. Never went past Hidden Island area. Most fish caught east of Morson on rocky points. Couldn't find the crappies this year. Heading back for musky opener.

We were up last weekend, fished Friday and Saturday between raindrops. Not great. Wife got a 23'' walleye biggest of the weekend. A few at 20''. But not a ton of eater fish. Tried sand (nada) rubble (a few) reefs (nada) and some old standbys with some current (bingo.) Not sure where the heck the concentration of fish were. Radio chatter made me feel like I wasn't alone.

Used only spinners and crawlers so maybe the jig and minnow bite was better.

(Lost a monster Saturday afternoon, on for 3-4 minutes, 3 runs, daughter just about to net it and the rod went limp. The hook on the Cabelas spinner bent about 30 degrees, apparently enough to come out. Clearly bigger than the 27's I've already measured this year. Probably at least a 10. So it goes.)

Water temps in low-to-mid 60's. Mayflies (fish flies) hatching already. That's often a July 4th hatch so much earlier this year. Water is up about 9 inches from early may but still a tad below average (40th percentile.)

Tons of rain. Mowed in standing water. Not much else to report. Musky guys will be starting Saturday. We'll be back up Wednesday again for 5 days. Keep trying. They should be on the reefs soon, maybe when the mayfly hatch is done and they move out of the mud.

We were up for a group father/daughter weekend. Got to fish on Sunday (7 hours) up in Miles Bay. Probably caught about 80 between 2 boats and 8 people. Only one 4 pounder, and one that went around 2, the rest we struggled to get decent eaters, but did manage to have a fish fry. If those fish can outrun the muskies for a couple of years they'll be a huge glut of nice eater fish! In all we probably caught about 125 for the weekend (the other 5 hours was just 2 people). Mayflies were out in full force for sure!

Had one girl lose a 6 pounder she caught off the dock not following any fishing rules!! She cast about 20 feet out and started reeling. That fish hit in the top 3 feet of the water column.... I usually let it fall in 15 feet of water to let it get in front of the fish. She screamed like she was reeling in a dead body. The dads thought it was a small muskie from the swirls in the water, then, when one of her friends tried to help her and lift it out of the water, the line broke as she couldn't lift it high enough and the weight went back on the line.

We also built a new floating dock, and got bit the worse I've ever seen by some sort of small biting gnat. My forearms are very itchy!!

W.T.

I agree that the posts seem to be drying up during the past few months. Comeon everybody! This is supposed to be an information "Exchange" that helps everyone that participates. I have not been up since the week leading up to Memorial Day and I posted shortly after that trip. I am not due to go up again until July 20th through 24th. It would sdure be nice to see some posts prior to that trip to give me an idea of the fishing situation. I will post when I return.

Wild Thing, thanks for the report. As far as slow reports, it is, IMO, for two reasons. 1. People (lucky ones) are out fishing. 2. People just getting back from there are probably "a little" fished out. I know when I get back from my week long voyage up to Sioux Lookout, it takes me a bit to post reports...because I am still recuperating. Thanks again for your report. Keep them coming.

All right . . . heading up this weekend. Haven't been up in the last few weeks due to the Kraus Anderson walleye tourney and what looked like junky forecasts, so we stayed around here. My in-laws had great fishing late last week in 8-10 fow on jigs and minnows along rip-rap, sand and rock shores and points.

It will be an interesting wknd fishing wise. I'll report back.

Thanks for the reports, guys. I'm headed up later today and will be up that way for tomorrow only. We'll mostly be chasing muskies, but we'll probably do some smallie fishing too. I'll report back next week.

went up thursday afternoon. didnt fish because of the slight chop. fished friday in the wind but east of Morson towards Burrow bay. I think we did better fishing when it was windy than we did with not as much wind on saturday. Friday we ventured out towards Boomstick and Stairway Pt and worked our way back. Nothing big, 22 inch was the biggest. lotsa eaters and little ones we tossed back. Stayed out on an island with a bunch of buddies so that was nice to fish and hang out. tried for smallies but nothing. wasnt fast and furious fishin but we got fish for a couple good meals. jigs and minnows and caught a few on Gulp. never bothered with crawlers. ( actually never crossed my mind to buy any) goin up friday again with the family for a birthday party so i dont know if I will get out fishing or not. Might have to stop and have a cold (pop) one with Wildthing. Be safe!