• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DIY Antler Mounting

DonBo

I use small L brackets to mount sheds and then bend them to the right angle to get the antlers to set where I want. I takes a little longer and they arent as sturdy as the skull plates probably are but once you get the material hardened around it they dont move much. I might try out the brackets though this year if I find a match to mount and see how well they work.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, after taking the weekend off to do some fishing, I'm back at it and ready to go.

Just a bit of extra filling and shaping with my rasp and the molding portion is done.

DSC02390.jpg

Here she is, ready to go.

DSC02391.jpg

DSC02392.jpg

Here's where I'd really like to hear from the rest of you what material you use to cover the form. I like to use buckskin that I've had tanned from my own deer. I think it looks real good and it adds to the trophy status for me.

First, cut a piece big enough to wrap all around the entire form.

DSC02393.jpg

Then staple it tight on the top and bottom.

DSC02394.jpg

Carefully cut down each antler to the edge of the pedicle. Don't cut too much or too far, it's easier to cut again than try to fix a cut gone too far.

DSC02396.jpg

Next begin to carefully cut around the base of the pedicle.

DSC02397.jpg

DSC02398.jpg

You can continue to staple the matierial around the back as you go.

DSC02399.jpg

Once you've got it fitting good, use a hot glue gun to glue the material down all around the base of the antler.

DSC02404.jpg

Don't forget to glue the edge down as well.

DSC02405.jpg

Make sure the second flap overlaps the first a bit and glue it down as well.

DSC02400.jpg

Once all that's glued down around the antler you can finnish with the staples around the back.

DSC02401.jpg

Carefully hammer down the staples, trim the excess and you're ready to finish it.

DSC02403.jpg

DSC02402.jpg

Here's another part where your creativety comes in and I'd like to hear how others handle this part.

I like to cut three thin (1/4" or less) strips of a contrasting color of buckskin and braid it. Hot glue the ends so it doesn't come apart and you've got a nice looking filler for around the base of the antlers.

DSC02407.jpg

Then, hotglue the end to the back of the antler and glue it all around the base.

DSC02408.jpg

DSC02409.jpg

Hotglue the end, trim the excess and you're done. These pieces were a bit over a foot long and was plenty to go around this set of antlers.

DSC02410.jpg

I know some use felt or velvet or some other material to cover the form. I think a camo material would look nice, especially on a bow-killed deer. Some use rope or a wider piece of material to go around the base of the antlers. Let me know what you've used and what you like best.

Some would be done with this project now. You can attach a picture type hanger to the back and put 'er on the wall the way it is. Most want some kind of plaque or slab wood to mount it on. Any way you choose to handle your trophy is fine by me.

In this short thread there are 11 different products mentioned for forming the skull, just goes to show you there is no right or wrong way to do it. IMO, the only wrong way is leaving them sit in a box in the garage.

I'll try to post more picks of the different plaques I've used over the years. Please feel free to post your own, or add any suggestions, tips you've found to make it better or easier on the rest of us.

This nice piece of barn board made a good coat rack.

DSC02419.jpg

This is a no-brainer for an archery kill.

DSC02421.jpg

Slab wood. If I shot two bucks in the same year I like to put them on the same piece of wood.

DSC01822.jpg

DSC01818.jpg

I know you've seen this. All three came from the same area in So. Dak. three years running.

DSC01816.jpg

A small section of my office wall.

DSC01817.jpg

Thanks for looking at stuff. Please feel free to show off your own and add any tips you may have.

Here is my method.

I mount every rack we shoot and have shot. Super cheap and super easy.

I cut out a bunch of these wood plaques from a cedar plank and simply sealed them with Thompson deck seal.

My total cost to mount a set of antlers is about $5 when its done.

The cedar plank used was a cull board that was almost free. Beyond that I use batting for the filler you can buy at Walmart. And the felt with the trim is cheap stuff.

Start by simply drilling 2 holes in the skull plate and put 2 screws into the plank.

IMG_0424.jpg

Next I fill the area below the skull plate with the batting. Just cut some chunks and start stapling them down till its filled.

IMG_0425.jpg

Now I cut a piece and lay over the batting I put in and cover over the skull plate.

IMG_0426.jpg

Next is the felt. I have a pattern that I lay over an 8x11 piece of felt and cut that out, then work it around the antlers.

IMG_0427.jpg

Just use a simple stapler and tack it down around the batting and skull plate.

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

Then I use an exacto knife and trim everything up around it.

IMG_0431.jpg

Next is taking the "trim stuff". I cant remember what its called. smile

Take a hot glue gun and lay a bead around the felt and simply trim things up.

IMG_0432.jpg

Then you have one great looking trophy for the wall for almost NOTHING invested.

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

I do this with everything from spikes up to the non-head mounters.

This happens to be a rack from a deer a friend of ours found dead last year during rifle season. Not my best work, but turned out really good.

If anyone has some photos of the process or even finished product of shed antlers they have mounted, I'd like to see it. I have two sets of elk sheds I keep meaning to do, and have looked up lots of mounting systems for it, but the cost per set is a little on the high side for me. Some sort of home-brew method would be great to see if anyone here has done it.

This happens to be a rack from a deer a friend of ours found dead last year during rifle season. Not my best work, but turned out really good.

Quick off topic question. If you find a buck like your friend did, is there any way to keep it without using your only buck tag? Would it be legit to have your wife or someone go get a buck tag? Sure, she didn't shoot it, but neither did you...

Good thread and good pictures guys!!! I've done some sets of antlers using Donbo's methods but this thread gives me some more ideas - and incentive. I'm behind a few years, too many other projects I guess!!

Another one I did recently. I dont honestly like the brown and green combo.... Bleck.

But hey, its antlers.

IMG_0437-1.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

I have the entire process down to 2 hours or less. This one had the fur still on the skull plate. Total time getting the skull plate cleaned and to the finished product was just over 2 hours.

You guys that use plaster need to start with the batting. Start and finish the entire project in less time than it takes the Twins to beat up on an opponent. laugh

Here is the one I finished this spring from the 2008 season. I didn't take any photos of the process but used autobody filler to mold around the skull plate and then wrapped crushed velvet around it. The skull base has two bolts I formed in the autobody filler to attached it to the plaque. I had a local cabinet maker make the plaque. It is walnut with a clear satin finish.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo235/bhench_photos/Hunting/Nikon026.jpg

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo235/bhench_photos/Hunting/Nikon002.jpg

what a great thread. I'm going to have to give this a shot and mount some of my antlers I have laying around. Thanks

That's what made me start this. I had boxes of bone laying around the garage. Sorta made me sad to take all those bucks and not show 'em off. Even the little ones have great stories/memories behind them and they all deserve some respect.

Even the little ones have great stories/memories behind them and they all deserve some respect.

Donbo, I agree, I've saved every rack from every buck that I've ever shot and everyone has a story behind it!!! Two winters ago I took the time and hung everyone of them in my shop. Only about half of them, the older ones, are mounted on plaques but my plan is to one by one get them all mounted on plaques.

I've done mine very similar to the way you described, trimming the skull, round mounting board, plaster of paris. One thing I want to add to my plaques is a notation like 'Bow 94' or 'Gun 02', haven't decided whether to get little plates or use a wood burner.

One thing I want to add to my plaques is a notation like 'Bow 94' or 'Gun 02', haven't decided whether to get little plates or use a wood burner.

Good plan. I write that info on the back of the plywood used to mount the skull plate. It doesn't show, but the record is there.