• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New rod and reel for hard water?

Question

I'm going to pickup 2 reels and 1 rod tonight! Leaving tomorrow for Alex MN to fish...slabs and Eyes.
St. Croix has new rod for $30/ Thornes Bros has wahoo ones for $50 any suggestion on rod and 2 reels for these applictions.... already have one lite pannie rod.

For rod what length are you guys using? I was thinking 30"

I have smallish summer reels, however want to go even smaller for winter rigs...

Thanks again!

------------------
Peace Max

10 answers to this question

I picked up a 28" Walleye Sweetheart Plus and a Carninal 300 from Thorne Bros. Sweet rig.... spendy yes.... but she's sweeeeeeeeet. Might be a little heavy for crappies, but for 'eyes it's the shiz-nit

I picked up the combo at the Ice Fishing Show for around $90 w/ tax. They also see the Cardinal 100... which is pretty nice as well. That'd save you $10. I must say.... their custom rods are NICE

I really like the Genz series by berkely. Great components. Graphite blanks, titanium guides, cork handle. Only $30. Great sensitivity but a strong backbone. I match mine with either a Tiny 20, ultralite Quantum, or other untralite reel. Thorne Bro's also makes a great product but a little more expensive.

Good Fishin, Matt.

wow! I'm the only one who thinks this: 90 bucks! Thats an unbeleivable amount to spend on 30 inches of graphite and a reel! MAybe if there was 8 months of hard water. Whatever tickles your fancy smile.gif

Look at the Tica reels, they are very nice also, with 2 ball bearing and 5 ball bearing models to choose from. They are both smooth, just bought one of each this year and can't wait to get on the ice with them.

Thorne brothers ice rods are top shelf. I have their 36inch walleye pro, and it is very, very nice. Another rod to consider is the frabill ultra-ice. The 34inch medium heavy is an excellent jig/spoon rod @ around 30 bucks.. very nice. Genz rods would be my 3rd choice. My very favorite is a custom sage rod a friend gave to me... I guard that one with my life, as I'll never be able to get my hands on another.

When you have thousands already invested in equipment don't skip on 2 things. Electronics and a good jig rod.

[This message has been edited by widetrack (edited 12-12-2002).]

I looked at one of those Tica 5-bearing models at Gander Mountain a week or so ago. The salesman told me that it was made by Pinnacle, but I have no idea if there is any truth to that. That thing is sweet, but I guess I don't see any reason to spend $60 (I think that's what it was) on an ice fishing reel. It looks kind of small for anything that I would use in the summertime. The instant anti-reverse would be nice with 1 or 2-lb panfish line though. Does the 2 bearing model have this feature and, if so, what's the tag on that one?

I have 5 thorne brother rods and 5 Genz rods my favorite panfishing reels are Quantum UL002 you can pick them up as cheap as $14 sweet drag. I use Sedona 500's for my perch and deepwater blue gill rods. I love Abu Garcial Cardinal Premiers for open water nice reel for under $27 CPULF, CP1, CP2, CP3 and CP4 and you can get them at fisherman's factory outlet they are a discount store for Berkley and Abu Garcia.