• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Sakakawea Fishing Reports

I go up every spring in late march or april. fishing from shore can be good as well. biggest is a 25lber and a 28lber. If you can tolerate thin ice and open water in some places where you are fishing you will catch them. Ive caught several over 20lbs and now just lookin for that 30!

Yes they would, and do.

A couple of years ago I was prefishing for a walleye tourney on Sakakawea and caught, netted, and released a 45" pike by myself. Quite the time! No camera and the cell phone was dead so the only evidence was the 45 inches of slime on the bottom of my boat!

the hardest thing is to time it right. 2 keys for Big Fish is fishing "Big Fish" waters and timing! I know a few guys who live around the area and im pretty much on stand by until that water starts to run from the creeks into the lake. Open water can be really good as well! than again sometimes when im fishing on the ice its pretty much like fishing open water!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be moving to the Williston area, any other known spearing lakes around there?

I am sorry that you have to move to Williston smile. Just kidding it is a booming little town right now. As far as lakes that is by far going to be the best fishing lake probably in the area. There will be some smaller lakes but there are not a whole lot of lakes up in this country. If you are there by this spring you will have to get out paddle fishing at the confluence of the Missouri River and Yellowstone. I have not gotten to do it yet but have heard it is a blast.

Thanks for the info guys. I've heard about the paddlefish and that's something that I'll have to try. And marine man I've looked at the site with the lakes open to spearing and thanks for posting it. I guess I'll just have to get out there and give it a shot. Hopefully I can see something.

I moved to Fargo a year ago from Mn. and have heard of the big gators in Sakakawea for many years. Now that I am closer, I might try to hook up with that opportunity, but know nothing about the hows of doing it. Would anyone be inclined to share specific areas to try and what to do with shore fishing these rascals? Thanks, ff

There have been having a lot of weather systems coming through on the big water. I am hearing the water is warming into the 50s in the bays.

Look for some pike and possibly some walleyes in those bays in the warmer water.

Greg has a video out of Tobacco Gardens on West Sakakawea showing us how it's done.

More videos at HSOshow.com™

Enjoy the show....Cowboy Country Walleyes

I caught two sauger on one crank. Ya, I know, unbelievable! The western end of Sakakawea is mule deer country, cowboy country, and fishing country. Walleyes and Sauger move back and forth from the upper Missouri and Yellowstone foraging on smelt. Upper Sakakawea can be one amazing fishery.

Watch in HD - CLICK here!

More videos at HSOshow.com™

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Look for the smelt and you will find walleyes on Sakakawea. Often you can fish inside of the bait and pick up fish moving shallow as they chase the forage. Just because it's August tomorrow doesent mean deep is the only answer. I have spent more time in 12 feet this year than any other depth. In fact, tomorrow I'm out and I will start in 12 and move up from there.

smelt.jpg

Report from Greg Schoneck of ND Live