• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cedar River Fishing Reports or Wapsipinicon River Fishing Reports

i finally got out to fish the cedar below one of it's dams. the water is up some, but very clear. no luck! talked to a guy that has fished it the last three days. he has only had two hits fishing a minnow on the bottom. atleast i got out and fished some open water. del

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Del, going to college in Waverly, I got to fish the cedar and the shell rock river as river as well.....the dams in waverly, right down town was always pretty good for producing fish, but this was in the early 90's. Of course at this time of the year, that water was usually flying pretty fast and furious. There were days that it was elbow to elbow on the shell rock river though as well.

wow! i was wondering if you were still up here or if you had moved south.( since you spend so much time there!!! grin.gif) can do.i haven't heard any reportd on the wapsie, but guess the cedar has been doing fair. i hope to go this week.more snow on the way!GREAT!! i'll keep you posted! del

Thanks Del you are more than welcome to come down south with me anytime.Got air and will dish tv.I been thinking of nashua should be getting good.I will be waiting to hear from you.ICE JOHN

no new info on nashua.( i fished there two weeks agao, zip!) but the guys have been doing ok on the cedar in waverly,( i went with them last night, we caught 6)i hope to get to nashua in a few days; depending on this goofy weather! mad.gif del

ice john. the marsh opened monday.( i just found out today!) talked to a guy that fished it last night. never had a bite!

i fished at nashua this moring. i saw one little eye caught, all i could manage was a 17 smallie, that put up no fight at all!

the cedar in waverly has been producing eyes and a few samllies in between weather fronts. del

the marsh is going ! as always bunches of little fish , and plenty of people fishing!!!yesturday the crappies started going after the sun came out and warmed the water a little.all kinds of baits are working . no one type was the hot ticket. i was doing ok with a 1/32 pink jig with a 2" power minnow.

could be. they were still going well at 10:30 this morning. i just haven't been able to catch enough better sized ones to clean for a meal.the guys are showing me thier tricks, so i'm learning! grin.gif

not first hand knowledge, but a buddy said they had a blast wed. night on the cedar ! some walleyes, smallies, and crappies! plan on checking it out in the morning! del

first hand knowledge! grin

didn't get started til 6:30 this morning;fished til 9:30. one small walleye,lost a eater by shore, and took home a 17 incher. caught several smallies. biggest was 14 in. used white twister tails,4 in. power minnow, and a green pepper paddle tail with a orange tail. del

Ice John!! not certain if you are up here or down south, but!! the crappies are spawning at meyers( calmar)! was there yesturday. lots of males, but no females. had a riot! del

Thanks Del yea I just got home last night from down south.The fish there are just starting to spawn.This crazy weather has everything nuts.I will try up there in the morning thanks for the info.ICE JOHN

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Cedar River (above Nashua)

Water levels have risen with recent rains and the river has turned muddy. Fishing has slowed due to river conditions. Northern Pike - Slow: Channel Catfish - Slow: Anglers are having the best success using night crawlers. Smallmouth Bass - Slow: Largemouth Bass - Slow: Walleye - Slow:

Cedar River (Nashua to La Porte City)

The Cedar River is currently falling and anglers are catching some channel catfish and walleyes. Channel Catfish - Good: Fish are being caught on dead and live baits. Smallmouth Bass - Good: Try casting crankbaits, spinner baits or jig and twister tail for smallmouth bass. Walleye - Good: Anglers are having some success catching walleyes on small jigs tipped with a crawler.

Wapsipinicon River (Tripoli to Troy Mills)

The Wapsipinicon River is currently at 6.1 feet and falling. River conditions are fishable with anglers catching some channel catfish and walleyes. Channel Catfish - Fair: Anglers are taking channel catfish on leeches, night crawlers and stink baits. Walleye - Fair: Try using small jigs tipped with half of a night crawler along current breaks, rocky shorelines or sandbar drop-offs.

We dicided to try fishing above the dam in Nashua yesturday.The water was dirty, but lots of great looking areas! (WE were bass fishing mainly!)The bite was VERY slow! Best action came from the channel cats that would hit anything.Best bait was a jig with a curly tail.( Which my son was using!. He caught two cats, one bass, and a crappie!) Lots of rock, brush/trees, and a weed bed next to a channel. Maybe next time!

we went over to nashua monday night for a while, Again i got skunked, but my son caught a nice 21 1/2 in. walleye.( He tasted good last night for super! grin) Other than that it was slow with only a small cat , and one smalley.

Any good "rough fishing" down there on the cedar? I'm lookin for species specific information. What species exist in the northern stretch? Quillback or any other suckers? Any information would be awesome. Thanks

Up in northern Iowa (just south of Austin, MN) the Cedar is more of a smallmouth-type stream, with lots of suckers.

By the time it gets to southeast Iowa (around Cedar Rapids), it has become larger, deeper, and more silted in, with a lot of catfish. As for rough fish down here, there are plenty of carp, sheepshead, and gar. Quillback and dogfish show up, too.

I've not heard of any bighead showing up below Cedar Rapids, but I don't bowfish. I do know bighead are found below the Burlington Street dam in Iowa City, and since the Iowa and Cedar converge at Columbus Junction, it is likely bighead can be snagged or shot below the last dam on the Cedar, too.

Water is high but levels are slowly dropping. Fishing has been slow. Channel Catfish - Slow: Anglers have been using cut bait or stink bait.

River water levels are still up but falling. Better fishing will be found in the lakes and smaller streams with better watersheds. Trout streams are in good condition. With the water off color, now is a good time to target brown trout. For more information about a specific stream, please call the Decorah Fish Hatchery at 563-382-8324. Most of our rivers are high but, are falling. Few anglers have been out on the rivers.

Water flow is close to normal, but is still muddy. Channel Catfish - Fair: Anglers have been using cut bait, chubs, minnows or stink bait. Crappie - Fair: Anglers are catching a few crappies in the lake at Nashua.

River water levels are close to normal, but still muddy. Better fishing will be found in the lakes and smaller streams with better watersheds. Trout streams are in good condition. With the water off color, now is a good time to target brown trout.

Anglers are reporting a mixed bag when fish are biting. Fishing has been slow to fair overall with the best action coming from catfish and smallmouth bass. Channel Catfish - Fair: Try stink bait, cut bait, or small panfish fished on the bottom. Flathead Catfish - Fair: Try live panfish or bullheads fished below floats or on the bottom. Smallmouth Bass - Fair: Use crayfish patterned crankbaits or plastics resembling crayfish around rocks or logs. Walleye - Slow: