• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Left my rods out all winter, will they be ok?

fishuhalik

Question

I loaned a couple of sticks to my father-in-law late this fall. I assumed he put them in his garage but it turns out he just leaned them up against his house all winter. I'm wondering if the reels will be ok? Am I gonna have to tear 'em down and clean 'em out? One's a St. Croix Avid series, not sure which reel it is but it's the biggest baitcaster they made, I think a 3500? The other is a Pflueger low-prof. baitcaster, again not sure on model but I just bought it last fall and it was around $90 if I remember right.

6 answers to this question

Thanks father-in law!!! sorry I don't have a clue as to what that could do to your reels but I would hope nothing would be a problem after all they are made to get wet (maybe not frozen) but if they are thawed out b-4 trying to move any parts I would guess the reels will be fine.....good luck

Good to know. I figured they would be but being that the Avid is my sturgeon rod I need to make sure it's ok before taking it out. Those things put a hurtin' on your tackle and if anything's not 100% you'll find out in a hurry!

The line probably is gonna be shot if it was set somewhere that the sun hits them. If they were subjected to lots of water, it wouldn't hurt to lube the reels up with a little hot sauce.

Otherwise they will be ok.

As the guys said.Bring them inside and let them warm up,lube the reels and check the rods for any damage, plus check the guides for cracks and chips.( This is easliy done by running a Q tip around on the face and inside edges. If the cotton sticks or hangs up, there is something wrong.)

Last but not least go get a couple cheap zebco's in case he want to borrow one again! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I am not knocking zebco's as that is what I use sometimes and find nothing wrong with them, they are just in-expensive is all I'm sayin'