Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Set The Hook

Fluorocarbon on baitcasters.

I haven't used fluorocarbon on baitcasters yet. Just braid and copolymer lines. I love braid and I have mixed reviews on copolymer. Copolymer casts like a rocket, but it doesn't sit flush on the spool after a few casts and is harder to maintain than braid. I'm thinking about spooling up some 12 pound fluorocarbon on my curado E7 for finesse baits. What are some experiences you have had with using fluorocarbon on baitcasters?

All my baitcasters have flouro on them. I still like mono on my spinning gear but strictly flouro on baitcasters.

I'm not a huge flouro fan, but I have found it to behave better on baitcasting reels than spinning reels. I like to spray it good with a line conditioner. You can cast a mile when the line has a fresh coating of the conditioner on it. You might have to pay special attention to your casting thumb if you know what I mean!

I guess what I'm trying to ask is... Does fluorocarbon sit tight on your spool? Or are there areas on your spool that have some loose winding after reeling it in? I'm guessing the answer could vary depending on what brand you use. But just wanna get a general idea.

I use fluro on all my baitcasters and spinning reels. I have tried just about every brand there is out there and I use Seaguar Invizx. In my opinion its the softest fluro out and is very manageable. Last night I was actually flipping a tube in my basement with 20lb seaguar on one rod, Berkely 20lb fluro on another rod, and Gamma 17lb copoly on another. There was no contest as to which one seemed to handle the best. The seaguar sat on the reel nice, felt smooth, and skipped across the floor with no problems. The Berkely seemed really stiff and unmanageable. The gamma copoly performed well but its copoly.

I use seaguar 10lb on my spinning gear and it works great. What I also like about this line is the diameter. They have smaller diameters compared to other brands. For example there 10lb is the same diameter of most other companies 8lb.

Set the hook: I would say the technique you are using will determine how tight the line sits on the spool. If your throwing a crankbait that consistently applies pressure to the line, then it will be tight. However, if you are pitching or flipping and consistently reeling in slack line, then it can get a little loose on the spool.

NTW: I've used triple fish and really like it. I've had no problems with it. If I remember correctly, it runs a little smaller in terms of diameter compared to other line brands, which also means it handles real well on spinning reels IMO.

I use fluorocarbon on some of my baitcasters, depending on the technique the rod is set-up for. Mainly I use Bass Pro's XPS.

For pitching of flipping you can reduce the loose line problem significantly by just short spooling that rig, you don't need to spool 100 yards of line for pitching. I will use fluorocarbon on spinning rigs in the lighter lines, but usually I like to uni-knot the fluoro. to braid.

Wayne, How do you like the XPS line? I've been thinking of trying it, for price sake, and have wondered how it is.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I am going to put some fluorocarbon on to my curado for weightless plastics. I'm considering Seaguar InvizX or Sufix 100% fluro. I've heard good things about both lines.

I use floro for everything but topwater and some flipping and heavy cover applications... I really like the feel of it now after I got used to its properties.

RK    29

Hiya -

Fluoro works great on baitcasters. About the only thing I DON'T use it for are spinnerbaits, and flipping in real heavy rushes or rice (I use mono and braid, respectively).

NTW - I use Triple Fish all the time. The reason for the price difference is TF is made in Germany, rather than in Japan like every other brand. The raw material for fluorocarbon is all made in one of 3 places - 2 in Japan, one in Germany. From there it's remanufactured into whatever its final use will be. Triple Fish is made into fishing line right at the plant, so there's no middle processing - thus the price difference.

I've had great luck with Triple Fish. Handles exceptionally well on spinning gear, which is why I started using it in the first place. I drop shot with 6# triple fish all the time. I've only had one case where I got abnormal break offs - I got a bad spool of 12lb that broke like sewing thread. Sent it back, and they sent me a replacement spool, plus another spool for my trouble.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

NTW    0

RK thanks for the information. I've ordered some #15. I'll be sure and check things out so I know that the spool isn't bad. At $10 for a 200yd spool not much harm done if I don't like it.

has anyone gone the really cheap route and used cabelas line? 600 yards for 20 bucks? just wondering how the stuff was and how consistent it was?

I went the cheap route and bought visious fluro. 800 yards for 20 bucks and was actually somewhat impressed for the money. It is a little stiff but I would take it over some of the other more expensive fluros. I actually use this stuff on my flippin sticks and havent had any problems.