Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

How to create an @mention - Click Here   07/16/2015

You can use the @mention aspect whenever you want someone to be notified about a post or let them know you are talking about them. Type the @ symbol type in a couple "lowercase" letters pause then once the names pop-up either select or keep typing in letters to narrow down the list until you get the @mention name you are looking for. You can play a game so members can see how it works. If you want to practice or If your name has been @mentioned below you should see it in your notifications (upper right) and you then have to @mention one or two members who haven't been mentioned inthe comments section below. Let's see how long we can keep this going. Anyone who duplicates a name that has already been @mentioned loses. This is the first group to be @mentioned to get the ball rolling: @Borch @Scott K @Corey Bechtold @Matt Johnson @mrklean @eyeguy 54 @Finns @IceHawk @MarkB @Cliff Wagenbach @Wayne Ek
Sign in to follow this  
johnsd16

Snagged a big metro yote!!

First critter I've caught that I would consider in the "metro". You grow em big down here. Caught in a snare.

GrantDec238.jpg

Had one bum eye.

GrantDec250.jpg

Normal eye for comparison

GrantDec249.jpg

Looks like some small game guys had a go at him a while back.

GrantDec251.jpg

Did you weigh it?

I did in fact. I don't weigh much of what I catch, unless it is a milestone for me or really of note (this year 1st beaver over 50lb and first coon to break 30lb). On this guy I was just curious since he seemed pretty heavy even on the sled.

43.2lbs. is what it came out at.

I know out east that's not a real big one but I don't really know from MN. The male coyote pup I got yesterday wasn't over 25lbs just by feel, so this guy was quite a bit bigger. I'd rather catch smaller ones though, they pull easier, and neither pay good.

What is a coyote worth these days ? I farmer up in Milaca told me his kids were getting $45 for them whole back during pheasant season. Was he pulling my leg ? We really should all get after them ! All I saw pheasant and grouse hunting this year was coyote tracks everywhere ! It is no wonder there is no game.

What is a coyote worth these days ? I farmer up in Milaca told me his kids were getting $45 for them whole back during pheasant season. Was he pulling my leg ? We really should all get after them !

he was pulling your leg! i think the average is $8; i'm not even going to sell mine this year, just skinning out the good ones and keeping the tans myself

$45 yotes, on the carcass!!!!!!! Wow, tell me where that was at. That's about 3x the best price going for them skinned. Like you Jmnhunter I had been hearing under $10 all season with many not buyable, but lately more reports of $10-$15 or even $20. Pups, and off colors still low and some not bought. Seems like most things have been advancing, now if beaver would just catch up.

Yeah elwood, 1st one for me in a snare. Snared lots of beaver and coon and a few fox before, only ever set a few snares for yotes until this place. Things were looking real good until we got that big snow. I had just saturated this location with snares and we got 14" putting them all out of comission after being out only 2 nights. The snow was real crusty soon thereafter and they can run on top. Now they are even less restricted in their movements than they are in the summer. Makes for tough snaring conditions, school started back up right after the snow, and I haven't had time to check many or get things set back up. Maybe later as I don't go after the yotes for the fur really.

Nice suprise when I went out yesterday to pull the last 4 snares I had reset after the christmas storm. Out of 4 snares I had a male yote pup and this nice male red, freshly caught, probably less than an hour before I got there.

GrantChristmasandBirthday333.jpg

The weird pose is because I had to use the timer, wife was feeding the kid at skinning time.

Been quite a number of years since I trapped and I haven't kept up on any changes, but I didn't think one could use snares down here? I thought that was strictly for the northern zone trapping?

Been quite a number of years since I trapped and I haven't kept up on any changes, but I didn't think one could use snares down here? I thought that was strictly for the northern zone trapping?

You're right, you aren't up on your regs. You've been able to snare after Dec. 1st in the farmland zone for several years.

Thanks for checking, chalk up another one for the internet game wardens.

Great fox. I wanna blast one just like that!

YEA what he said grin

I may have to try those snares sometime my bro in law does quite a bit of snareing, maybe some day.

Originally Posted By: The Grebe

You're right, you aren't up on your regs. You've been able to snare after Dec. 1st in the farmland zone for several years.

Thanks for checking, chalk up another one for the internet game wardens.

Yep snaring is legal after Dec 1, but the law requires that snares be checked once every calendar day.

Yep snaring is legal after Dec 1, but the law requires that snares be checked once every calendar day. wink

Between 5am and 10pm nonetheless. Hence, why I do it that way. Thanks for reminding me of the laws I follow. After rereading my other post I could see how it would sound like I wasn't checking daily, though that was not the case. After the storm I didn't reset any.

I didn't reset after the storm because I didn't have time to check anything. Don't set what you can't legally check. I had some more time recently and I reset just a few, so few that I did have the time to reset and check them. When I say pull them, I mean go out and pick them up, as after the storm they were all knocked down and I just closed the loops down and hung them up on brush near the anchor point(not set).

Snares and footholds that are non-drowning must be checked every calendar day between 5am and 10pm. Snares in the farmland zone can only be set after Dec. 1 and never in road right-a-ways.