• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help: Installing Vexilar Battery Status Indicator

shogun

I recently got the FL-8SE but it did not come with the battery status indicator, so I bought one separately (T-130). My question is how to hook the wire leads up to the battery terminal?

Should I undo the connectors for everything else and add them to those (would have to buy new connectors to clamp down all wires again after pulling apart the current ones) - or is there another way? Does anyone have any pictures of one that came with an indicator already connected? I don't really see any other option since once you slide on the connectors, there really is no room to add anything else onto the battery terminals. I'd just hate to rip apart the current connectors to do this. Anyone get creative with their's?

Also - I was surprised to find that the battery status indicator did not come with any screws or such for attaching it to the case (pro pack II) also somewhat lacking any detail in instructions. If anyone has one that came with the indicator - I'd like to know how everything is attached. Thanks for any info!

There is a few ways to do it. I just spliced the wires for the indicator and the vexilar together. Just cut the wires that are hooked up to the vexilar about 6 inches from the battery connector and get a but splice connector, connect one side of the splice connector to the wire you just cut and on the other side put both red wires (one from the indicator and one from the vexilar) and do the same for the black wires. Just note the polarity (which wires go to positive and which go to negative). I believe the wires are red and black and the red is positive and the black is negative. I just used a 6-32 bolt to mount my indicator to my vexilar. Hope this helps.

I would recommend you replace the factory ends with new the stacker end connections that allow to add another power clip as needed. They look like the male top of the Vex battery added onto the top of the female end that already exists on the power ends.

Just match the polarity and crimp the old unit wires and the battery status indicator into the new ends.

Now with this new end clip system if you wish to add a Vex Light or anything else you can plug it into the top of the new connections without any new wiring involved. Also this is handy to hook up the charger without removing the battery clips.

TIP: Since you will have the wires cut it is a good time to consider adding a 12 V marine grade accessory receptacle on the Vexilar Pro Pack as well. This is a very easy upgrade and very useful. Cost is $8.

Simply wire it into the battery connection ends as you do the D-130, and now you have a live 12 V accessory handy to power GPS, cell phone chargers, or fans in the field.

Two bolts just like what you use for the D-130 mount will secure it to the top opposite side of the Pro-Pack case adjacent to the position of the D-130 with the receiver facing out so it is easy to access even with a soft pack on the unit. The opening for the 12 V accessory receiver will line up with the zipper on the side of the soft pack.

DSCN0199.JPG(12 V Power receiver pictured top right on Vexilar case)

Keep in mind when you add the third wire to the crimp to the end connection, you will need to buy larger connections than if you just crimped 1-2 wires, so go larger and also get the heat shrink style so once done you can shrink the plastic tightly on the new connections protecting it from corrosion. Add a few small zip ties and you will have a nice clean Tweaked out Vex power upgrade and installation.