• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

flasher upgrade? or new camera?

fishnhuntnboy

I have been thinking of getting a new flasher. I have the fl-12 right now and was thinking of getting the new Humminbird. I saw that they are more powerfull than Vexilar and marcum. I would like to get the zoom feature if I do get a new flasher. Does anyone have a Humminbird or have had used one that could give me some insight on them?

On the other note, if I dont get a flasher I was thinking of getting a underwater camera. I dont know much about the cameras or what ones are good or bad. I was looking at the fish tv ones but they just seem a lil cheap. I was also looking at some of the marcum ones too. What do you guys have and what do you like about it.

Im just not sure of what to get and wanted to see what everyones opinion is and what they have.

Thanks

Darrin- here is my thought.. you already have a good flasher.. aint nothing wrong with the FL-12.. sure you can get one with zoom.. But you have one.. You can use a camera year round to look at stuff under the water.. something you do not have. I say go with the camera..

as for which./.. Get what you can afford.. If you can get into a Marcum 380 do it.. probably the best for the moolah. the 820 in my opinion is still the best out there, but the 380 is best bang for the buck.

I agree. You have a good flasher already and if money is burning a hole in your pocket then the next logical step would be a camera to upgrade your ice fishing tool box. If I were looking at a camera the MarCum 820 would be the one I'd get as well. I almost pulled the trigger on one this fall but decided to pass for now.

I have to second tht opinion. I have noticed this season that with the addition of a camera I am picking up more fish. Especially in the weeds and with fish that are really light biters. As for which one, I bought a cheapy, (I got it for $39 with the purchase of my Vex). 5.5" Cabelas model, but it has done the trick. I have no complaints.

Thanks for the response. I have everything that I personally need for fishing and would like to upgrade and the camera would be a good one to add. Anything I do will have to wait till money flows. So might as well do my research!

I have read the forum of the underwater cameras and seen that the marcum vs380 is the one to chose. I also saw dtro's video and it looks really nice.

I have been thinking of getting a new flasher. I have the fl-12 right now and was thinking of getting the new Humminbird. I saw that they are more powerfull than Vexilar and marcum. I would like to get the zoom feature if I do get a new flasher. Does anyone have a Humminbird or have had used one that could give me some insight on them?

On the other note, if I dont get a flasher I was thinking of getting a underwater camera. I dont know much about the cameras or what ones are good or bad. I was looking at the fish tv ones but they just seem a lil cheap. I was also looking at some of the marcum ones too. What do you guys have and what do you like about it.

Im just not sure of what to get and wanted to see what everyones opinion is and what they have.

Thanks

If you upgrade the ducer single beam to a duel beam, you won't need a zoom. The FL-12 with a dual is dead on tight, top to bottom. The enhanced processor in the FL-12 over the FL-8 will gain you the target ID and separation you need. In my experience the wisest use of your dollar with the FL-12 package is adding a duel beam. An option you may also wish to consider.

I just added the dual beam to my fl-8 and love it. The ability to switch beams is so nice especially when fishing with other guys, i hate seeing there stuff on my screen.the 9 degree in deep water is worth it alone! What is this enhanced processor your talking about Ed? You would love the dual beam for sure.I will never have a flasher without it now! The flat ,large screen of the fl-12 would be nice to have. Good luck on your decision!