• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2010 Canada fishing trip, when and where?

I started this topic last acouple of years and always seemed to be popular with the replies. Thought I would see what people are up too this year. Can be open water coming later or on the ice now.

Just curious whats the popular trend this year amoung the people reading this forum and Canada? What lakes/outfitters/time of year? etc etc. Are most of you already booked in to go somewhere or waiting to make reservations yet this year? Feel free to share, just wondering where everyone is heading this year. Will this be your first time to this lake your going too or been there before?

Hope everyone that comes this year enjoys they're trip and what Canada has to offer. If you have any questions about Canada, does not even have to reguard the outfit Im with, feel free to ask and Ill gladly give some answers about any Canadian issues or lakes or my 2 cents on a topic.

132.5 days we will be back on Minnitaki. This is our 5th trip there in the last four years. Made it there in the fall of 09. I have never been on a lackluster system in Canada and I have fished alot of them. Something about Minnitaki keeps bringing us back.

We like to schedule our trip about the same time every year, i.e. a couple of weeks after opener to "guarantee" ice free fishing. We have gone the week prior and pushed the envelope with the ice.

Good luck to you this year L&M, hope your business does very well!! I always look forward to you posting this thread, it means we are getting close!!

Back to Dobie in July for our 2nd trip with L&M! Last year was wet, wet, wet, but the L&M team took such good care of us we definitely wanted to go back again.

Really looking forward to this trip now that winter is in full force. Take care and we'll see you soon - Brian.

Good topic, we have been going to Lac Seul for a number of years with great success, usually in August, this year looking to do a four night trip to drive in/boat in lodge in mid to late June. Hoping with slow economy can fine a logde that will book a trip other than a week in June.

If you guys could list the lodge you stayed not just the lake it would be appreciated. thanks

gawleys little beaver lodge on lac seul. 5 miles south of ear falls. this will be the 5th year going to lbl we jumped around to different places for years looking for something better and finally found it. we are starting to figure out them lac seul eyes too. 27" walleye is the largest caught yet in our group of 5, but we are very hopefull on hitting that 30" mark.

we along with all of you are praying for good weather. my goodness last year was horrible, not just the week we were there but, most the summer from what I read.

we bring our own boats, It is nice to have a big rig on that body of water!!

Excellent to see afew are excited to make it in 2010. We'll be seeing you soon MrBig for "round 2" during your Dobie trip. Provo, time is flying by, wont be long spring will be here. Deacon, I am sure if you contact enough resorts you'll get one to help you out. I do afew flights into a outpost in Vaughn section of Lac Suel and they do less than a week but that is fly ins. bigtimeelectic, keep at it, you'll get that 30 incher. thatoneguy, never been there but sounds like a good place.

Lets hear some more whos coming and where they are going.

I've only been once to Totem Lodge in Sioux Narrows. This is a great fishing resort on LOTW. We used the guide service and we had great luck. The entire staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Hope to go back one day. I am looking for another trip like this one if anyone has any recommendations. I don't own a boat and am looking for a great resort that provides the guide meal plans and just allows you to enjoy your experience. Any suggestions?

My suggestion is if you like a certain place, why go elsewhere? unless you want to find something differnt. If thats the case theres many places to pick from. Are you wanting to stay on LOTW, or wanting differnt water? What species is primary fish your wanting? You want drive in, boat in, or fly in? I too am interested what other fishermen from south of the border have to recommend for this person.

L&M That is good advice.

I have grown up fishing for panfish/bass. I enjoy fishing walleyes and all species really. I don't own a boat, or have time to learn waters and am still learning technique. If I'm going to spend a week a way from work on vacation I want to know that I will catch fish. That is why I like the idea of have a resort give you the tools that you need to do this. Guides are nice to guarantee that you catch fish and enhance the experience. I too would also like to hear of people's experiences.

Thanks

I already have my first Canada 2010 trip under my belt, and it was a great one! We slammed the trout on Pipestone Lake (and some surrounding lakes), staying at Gateway North Outfitter's outpost cabin. We are headed back up there for round #2 with the lakers on February 10th, and just maybe will go back late March/early April for some big crappies and more trout.

As for summer, the last couple years we've gone to Off or Pipestone Lake for Memorial weekend with good success, so we might do that again. Then, sometime in mid-late summer I go up to Pipestone for 9 or 10 days at a private camp to chase muskies/walleyes/trout. I love that area up there, it has everything I could ever want as far as fishing goes. My biggest goal for this year is a 20+ pound trout or a 50+ inch muskie. I know they are there!

Headed back up to Moak Lodge on Cedar Lake. First trip is with the boys after school gets out the 2nd week of June and the 2nd trip is right after the 4th of July with our annual father/son trip. Been there 14 times in the last 7 years. Can't wait.

Already made a trip to Sioux Narrows for the laker opener. Fished Whitefish Bay and Yellowgirl Bay of LOW.

Will be coming to Nestor Falls in March primarily for lakers on Crow and surrounding lakes but will also fish Sabaskong Bay for crappies.

Small chance of Coming in April for a winter camping trip on Whitefish Bay for lakers.

My goal is to make it up this summer for my first Canadian open water fishing trip. Trying to find a small boat accessible lake to camp on.

Back to Minaki in July for a week of chasing muskies with my dad. Just hoping for little better weather this year. #1 bait last year was a glider.... Not what I'm looking for in July. Hoping to put together a second trip up there as well.

As always I can't wait for that trip. The catching isn't a whole lot better than around here, but man is the shield great place to go fishing! Great big fish up there and last year we saw a bear swim across a bay I was casting. Pretty cool.

I agree Canada does have alot of cool things that Debo said, its not just the fishing. Each lake is a world of its own and each trip has special events too. NoWiser knows Pipestone and that lake has some of the best scenry a lake can offer besides what it can offer in fishing.

Fred Bear, you may already have this information. If not, it might be a good idea to contact the MNR office and find out the area's where camping is allowed near the border. Alot of areas have special restrictions.

Who else is heading to Canada this year? Anyone got any pictures to show from there last years trip? MrBig, I never got any pictures from your last years trip to Dobie, considering all the wet weather you had, did you get any good pictures to share?

Fred Bear, you may already have this information. If not, it might be a good idea to contact the MNR office and find out the area's where camping is allowed near the border. Alot of areas have special restrictions.

Thanks for the heads up L&M

I finally got to do some research after posting and found WFB is a conservation reserve so no camping. Now it looks like we'll be staying on Berry and fishing that area or staying somewhere in the Rowan, Cameron, Otterskin area. Should still be good fishing just a little scarier ice and the usual portage problems depending on conditions. Not the same chance at a pig laker either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure these lakes are all listed as general use areas in the Crown Land Use Policy Atlas and will be open to camping with a permit.

Nice to see you guys supporting our economy, but do you ever wonder where us Canadians fish? Just curious I suppose. Not one Canadian stays at, or fishes out of a a resort. There's much better fishing, where you won't see a soul for weeks on end, just a few more miles away.