• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First wheelhouse

CAD

Well I just bought my first wheelhouse from King Cros and im picking it up in a week and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks that maybe useful. Some of the other questions are if I drop it on the ice and bank it and leave it out for a month what will keep it from getting froze down? Should I drill my holes and then drop it or drop it and then drill from inside the house? Thanks for the help and any other tricks that will come in handy.

I lower my shack down on a stack of 4x4 blocks to keep it 8 inches up in case of slush when leaving it on a location for a week. With it up this far I just drill the holes right with the shack down and use the old slush inhaler to clear em. I don't like to ever put a wheel house or a skid house in a spot without blocks to get it a little off the ice. Helps to keep the floor a bit warmer too. I do bank it with snow though or it will get cold with the draft coming in from below.

We set our wheehouse on 2x6 boards at all of the corners and under the doors. We then put it down and drill the holes (invest in a slush bucket, it is well worth the money). Buy a good tongue lock and dont leave anything of value in the house. Most importantly.....ENJOY it, we are very glad we bought one and we use it a lot.

I crank down half way and drill the holes, then crank down the rest of the way. I set my house right on the ice, no blocks. I just crank the wheels down on occasion just enuf to break it loose. I have never set up in slush, I guess if I did, I would block it. Bank the house to keep the holes open. I have a split hitch in front so I can pull a pin and the part of the hitch that has the coupler goes in the back of my truck if I leave.

slush bucket and a slush inhaler are the way to go, no mess and one swipe with the inhaler and your done. Keep your winches and cables well lubed with a silicone based spray, and waterproof camping bags are nice to keep your winches covered while traveling and not in use. Have a set of cables just in case one does break.