• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

speedo drive problems

PmDavis300

my speedo stopped working... investigated, speedo adapter drive appears to be seized. the little adapter pin broke as well. i heard something about a bad bearing on the drive shaft causing this? i dont think this is my problem, because like i said, the drive adapter is seized i think. opinions?

1990 jag afs

So you followed the speedo cable down to where it hits the right angle adapter drive, removed the three nuts in the tunnel, pulled off the adapter drive and the key was broken and the drive wouldn't turn?

Inspect the bearings that were under the plate, those are the bearings that often go out and takeout the speedo drive.

You can test the adapter drive easily enough, just put what is left of the key on the driveshaft side of the adapter and spin it with a cordless drill - does it spin the speedo cable on the other end? Narrow it down to what is broken - if you already did that, and it is just the adapter drive, I would still carefully inspect those bearings. If bearings are fine, repack w/ grease, install new key and right angle adapter.

Also, some of the most fun I've ever had was trying to pick the end of the speedo key out of the driveshaft.

Tim

my speedo stopped working... investigated, speedo adapter drive appears to be seized. the little adapter pin broke as well. i heard something about a bad bearing on the drive shaft causing this? i dont think this is my problem, because like i said, the drive adapter is seized i think. opinions?

1990 jag afs

Keys only break when there is misalignment. If it's a Indy, change your bearings!! They are famous for needing bearings on the driveshaft between 4-6K miles. My best friend owned a Polaris dealership in the UP and I can tell you the most common change we made was pistons on the triples and the shaft bearings. The first indicator was the speedo breaking.

Change them now instead of being towed home.

thanks for the help. bearings are fine. luckily the key broke off on the drive adapter side. now im trying to find a used adapter because i dont want to pay $50 for a brand new one...

Same thing happened with mine. I change tracks often for mountain riding. I must have forgotten to grease along the way. I found a good used one on eebay for $12.