• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blade Sharpening

sparetime

Question

I found a good tutorial on here about sharpening Jiffy Auger Blades. Does anyone know if Strikemaster blades can be sharpened the same way?

Basically it was using a draw file to freshen the edge, while making sure to keep the original bevel. I have two sets of blades for my auger, so i thought I'd give it a chance on one set. I have the older Magnum III auger, but I'm sure the blades are the same as the new ones (not the lazer)

2 answers to this question

I have that same auger and yes the blades are the same as the chippers today. if you get a new blade from strikemaster they charge $29.95 for a 8.25" and $32.95 for the 10.25". they do offer blade exchange for $19.95 for either size blade and they are basically new blades that they give you. the difference in price is because they are giving you a credit for your old blade. I my self do the blade exchange every other year on mine. check out their HSOforum for more info.it is under the online store link on the left of the homepage.

Yes, a flat edge blade like the Magnum can be sharpened the same way.

With either the flat file method, or the fine grit paper adhered to a bench method, both do well if you take care to maintain the proper angle and file/sand the top working edge of the blade.

Be sure to touch up the center point as well, it is critical to feed the main blade properly.

Don't use a grinder, it produces too much heat and damages the temper and hardness of the edge.