• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunflower noise

mmclain6101

Question

Why does my sunflower heater make a loud high pitched hum/whistle? I have a 5' hose with the propane outside and every 10min. it starts humming. The only solution I have found is to cover one of the holes (air intake I think) on the side of the sunflower mounting. Not sure if I am going to blow up or what? Can some one help?

Thanks

10 answers to this question

Deals with gas a lot...We could get some wives in here I bet!

Don't ever cover both holes! crazy Thats where the air that mixes with the gas for burning comes from! I think it may have to do with how deep the gas (brass) orifice is adjusted in or out of the gas tube. Look in through the holes and see how deep your gas (brass) orifice is threaded into the gas tube. It should only be lined up at about the bottom of the air holes. wink

Mine will keep doing it all day/night. I just try and sing along with it to keep my self busy, god know I can't catch fish.

Mine too. It does stop when I cover one of the air intake holes and I think I may try taping one to see if this will permanently solve the problem. I've tried just about everything else to quiet it down with no luck.

That would drive me nuts if it never stopped. You might want to look into a new one.

I had an older one I got probably over 10 years ago, that one never made a peep. Well, when I had to replace that one with a new one, the new one always does the vibration noise when starting cold. At this point I also switched to a 5lb tank over a 20lb. At first I thought it was not enough pressure with the 5 lber but after I talked to some guys here, I figured they all do it a little. Once the house heats up it will stop. If I open the doors on the portable for a while and let the warm air out, it will start vibrating again. That's what I think the noise is, some kind of vibration, it's similar to the noise we get when machining and the tool vibrates or "chatters". i think mr. heater might use really cheap materials and thats why it makes the noise but I dont know why yours would keep going after it heats up. Thats strange